Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old quilt falling apart.... >

Old quilt falling apart....

Old quilt falling apart....

Old 12-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

I am getting ready to try to work on a quilt for my brother in law. His grandmother made him a quilt years ago, and it's falling apart, and has some places that look like strings, but many more that are blocks that just need more sewing to keep them back intact again. I plan to do my best, because his grandmother along with his dad raised him. It means a lot to him. Do I just replace the few blocks that got pieces kind of ragged looking with a piece of it completely gone?
Old 12-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Banned

I would lay tulle over the top as it is, with another backing, and just requilt it. Easiest way to salvage the memories and originality.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:21 PM

I'd ask her where she got it, and ask her on a scale of 1-10 how much it means to her. If from a yard sale, probably her rating will be very, very low and you also will know it's of little worth to her. What IF you went to a lot of trouble and then she decided she didn't want it? Or she used it as a dog bed? If, on the other hand, it's of great value (9 or 10 on the sentimental scale) ask her if she'd be willing to pay you xxx dollars to repair it. Chances are, if you throw her a high estimate, you'll be able to gauge her seriousness about the job. I have found so much freedom in just saying "no, it's not something I (enjoy) or (feel qualified) or (have time) for."
Old 12-26-2016, 05:09 PM

This answer is for JuneBillie. Does your brother-in-law want the quilt restored for the memories to use or just to keep? If it is to use, I would replace the badly worn blocks with new material matching as much as possible and sew the blocks that need sewing. If it is to keep just for the memories, tulle over the worn blocks or the whole quilt might preserve the originality best. The pieces missing, if quite large, should probably be replaced. I would ask him which he prefers. How nice he has confidence in you to restore his treasure.

Last edited by Genden; 12-26-2016 at 05:14 PM.