Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old quilt magazine:Blast from the past >

Old quilt magazine:Blast from the past

Old quilt magazine:Blast from the past

Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 AM

I was looking through some old magazines last night that I bought at the thrift store.

One is "Quilt Almanac" 1986 and it only says Vol 6, No 1, so I assume it wasn't a monthly magazine.

Anyway, there is an article in there titled, "From Quilting Bee to Computer" and its talking about how times had changed from the old days of quilting bees with your neighbors and how people now(well,then, in 86,lol) talked to their quilting friends on the phone long distance and by mail. The authors point was that she had more quilting friends out of state than in state, and it wouldn't have been like that in the old days, where all the neighbors got together for quilting bees.

The very last paragraph is what I wanted to share with you guys. Here it is, word for word:

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if all the quilters in America could sit together at one large quilting bee? Since that is an impossible dream, let's remember to communicate with each other in the methods we have available to us. The lines of communication are changing as fast as the styles of our art. Who knows....by the year 2000, all quilters may be linked together by computers!"

I thought of you guys when I read this, and had to laugh out loud, LOL. I just wonder if the lady who wrote this is enjoying the computer like we do now. Her name was Caron L. Mosley.

We really are lucky to have this wonderful method of communicating. I know I wouldn't know a tenth of what I know or the supplies that I have without the internet. And I wouldn't have near the friends!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 AM

Thanks! Maybe we could do a search and try to find her! I wonder if she remembers writing this after all these years.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Here is her blog

http://blog.caronmosey.com/
Old 07-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks for that info Stefanib - never a truer word was spoken about communication changes over the last 15 years when I studied IT at adult college; I say thank goodness for the internet too because it has made the world so much smaller in many ways and we don't have to leave home to find new friends.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Yay! Thanks for finding her! I'm going to write her message her right now! LOL!

Heck, she may even be a member here, huh?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 PM

LOL, here's what I found on her blog:

"Quilts and quilting have a way of uniting people from all walks of life. I love that the invention of the Internet has given quilters yet one more way to connect"

Yep, she knows! LOL!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM

How funny. Wonder what it will be like in another 30 years?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Oh my gosh...I'm feeling very old, now! Yes, In the 1980's I worked as a Contributing Editor to Quilt and Quilt Almanac magazines, among others. I taught at the first few AQS shows in Paducah and traveled a lot teaching around the country. AND, I love computers!!! I even worked as the Technology Director for the school district that I taught in for awhile up here in Michigan. I'm on Facebook (Caron Covert Mosey) and Twitter (cmosey) and I can see you already have my blog address. I post a lot from my Blackberry (yes, I'm a crackberry).

It is interesting to think about how we'll communicate in another 30 years... I'll only be 83 then! LOL
Old 07-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by cmosey
Oh my gosh...I'm feeling very old, now! Yes, In the 1980's I worked as a Contributing Editor to Quilt and Quilt Almanac magazines, among others. I taught at the first few AQS shows in Paducah and traveled a lot teaching around the country. AND, I love computers!!! I even worked as the Technology Director for the school district that I taught in for awhile up here in Michigan. I'm on Facebook (Caron Covert Mosey) and Twitter (cmosey) and I can see you already have my blog address. I post a lot from my Blackberry (yes, I'm a crackberry).

It is interesting to think about how we'll communicate in another 30 years... I'll only be 83 then! LOL
Thanks for posting! You sure were ahead of your time, LOL!

You aren't "old", you are in the prime of your life. You were just really young back then!

I bet you never thought back then when you wrote that, that someone in a little town in Ky. would read it in 2010, and talk about it over the computer, did you? LOL!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM

No, probably not, but it's really cool! And I read your post/email to my husband, who then said, "How long before you'll write about it on your blog? He knows me pretty well!