Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old quilting magazines! >

Old quilting magazines!

Old quilting magazines!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:22 AM
cae

Default Old quilting magazines!

Wondering how to "recycle" old quilting magazines, too many patterns and not enough time! Suggestions welcomed. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 AM

I also have been going thru my quilting books and getting rid of most of them. Not in a million years will I ever get to make all of the patterns in the books I have marked. I have a large amount now and am heading out to our local Goodwill to drop off. Hopefully, someone will get some good use out of them.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 AM

I take the magazines to a quilt group that meets every week to hand quilt. We have a coffee break and we all look at magazines and show and tell. Several local quilt shows sell old magazines. If you are a guild member ask them.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: PM
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Don't toss them, you can leave them on the gifting table at your quilt guild or drop them of at a charity resale shop.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

or alibrary. our library is huge. we have a sr.s room with ol magazines and such, maybe yours does too.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 AM

Anything useful I want to get rid, I list on ReUseIt. (It's a yahoo group in different cities; you send an email to the group with what you're offering and your zip code in the subject line, and describe the item in the email. Those who are interested email you back, and you arrange to leave it outside for them to pick up. I've never listed anything that wasn't instantly claimed.)
Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 AM

My DD lives in Paducah, KY - the Quilt Show capital of the Midwest - there is a church thrift shop there and she takes her outgrown, used things to them to sell for their ministries. I had a bag of OLD quilt magazines and I gave them to her to give to them. Then I had more and actually called them and asked them if they wanted more and the lady that answered the phone said YES that they had sold every one in about a day after my DD brought them in. So, that is where I send my old magazines, books, etc.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I agree with lynnie. I just took a huge stack to the table at the library along with some older books and booklets for quilting. They sell some and put a free sign on others. It helps the local library fund other programs.

But, in the past I did donate many of them to the thrift store that supports the local food bank. The senior centers would probably enjoy them too.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-17-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:07 AM

When I was moving, I packaged old magazines in chronological order into medium flat rate boxes and offered them here on QB free but for the cost of shipping. I got rid of them all. Most went to newer quilters that hadn't had the time to accumulate like some of us long time quilters have. I received many nice notes from the recipients.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:00 PM

I had years of old magazines. i removed the pattern I wanted and gave the rest to my daughter and my quilting buddy. They looked thru them and also took what they wanted and then recycled them. You can't keep everything.