Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old vs. New (machines, that is)

I have a 1938 Singer model 15-91 and am using it to piece the Jinny Beyer DA VINCI kit for my grandson's graduation in June. I paid $75.00 (including a cabinet) for it from an antique dealer. It has a knee control which I am learning to love. I also like to sew strips with the 3 treadles we have. But I still like my Bernina 640 for attaching binding (their walking foot works best I've tried) and for regular sewing. I also have 301's and featherweights I take to class. We are shipping 1 featherweight to my daughter's in CA just so she and I can both have machines to sew with when we go to visit.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have experienced this, too. I have a Pfaff 7570 that I love, but if I had to choose one machine (I have 6), I would have to take my 401A. It has never broken down on me. It is my "go to" machine when others fail me.
    I think many of our old faithful mechanical machines will sew circles around the fancy computerized machines over a lifetime. I also have a 66-16 that does a much nicer straight stitch than my high-end Pfaff. Gotta love those old girls!

I have a vintage 306W that has never ever failed me! I love the features of the newer machines , but for reliability .. nothing beats vintage.

thanks for the sweet answers, it sure helps my feelings......I took the Bernina to the shop on Wed afternoon........now just going to have to wait for the shock of what it is going to cost to have it all fixed up again.....................
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

I love my newer Berninas for what they can do, but my tried and true "best friend" of sewing machines, the one I can always rely on, is my Bernina 930.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2