Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide? >

O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide?

O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

What I use for myself is simply exra-thick moleskin that I buy in the foot section of the pharmacy. (Have also used regular moleskin doubled, but prefer the thicker moleskin.) This is adhesive padding you can cut and put on a foot to prevent a blister from forming when walking. I rotary cut strips about 1/4" wide and as long as I want (usually about 3 inches, as extra guide to the front and rear of the needle works best).

To attach the moleskin, I place a ruler underneath the presser foot and lower the needle to a scant 1/4" inch, not quite touching the ruler line, then lower the presser foot to hold the ruler in place. I also check to make sure the ruler is not skewed but running straight from front to back. I remove the paper backing from a 3-inch strip of moleskin and lay it down on the bed of my Bernina right next to the ruler edge.

I have left this on my machine for long periods of time; it has always removed easily. The moleskin provides an edge for me to butt my pieces against and make my piecing very accurate. I love that I don't have to keep my eyes glued to a line on the bed of my machine!

Before coming across the moleskin idea I had tried a magnetic guide and didn't like it. For one thing, it was too short. As I recall, the fabric would sometimes curl next to it also, making the seam too wide. Moleskin all the way for me! :lol: Oh, and I have been quilting on and off for about 30 years now. I would *hate* to have to piece without my moleskin guide!

Edit: I went back and clicked on your link to see what this guide is. I have used that type of guide also (especially for sewing half-square triangles). It's okay, but honestly the moleskin guide works better because you don't have to keep your eyes glued to a line. With the flat guides like the one in your link, I never had a problem removing them, but I don't know about this one specifically.

Also, I have fixed up many vintage machines over the years. The adhesives that are impossible to get off have always been masking tape and transparent tape. Granted, these were probably all baked on for decades, but I still wouldn't use them on my machine for longer than a few days at a time. Today's machine finishes are much stronger than the vintage finishes too. Today I could use Goo-Gone on my machine without a twinge, whereas it would damage the finish on a vintage machine.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the moleskin tip...I think I'll try that first.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

It appears that this guide is for strips only. It would not help once you are sewing the pieces together. It looks like there is a plastic sleeve that you feed the strips of fabric into...
I enlarged the picture on my screen and it looks as though the widest fabric you can run through the guide is 2-3 inches. This would be great for sewing two pieces together, but I don't see where you could add on additional strips on using this tool.....

Maybe if someone comes across a clearer/more enlarged picture of this guide and instructions.....
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM

[quote=ghostrider]I have no idea how well that gizmo works, but it really saddens me how 'specialized' all the manufacturers are getting with new products quilters MUST have. They can only sell so many needles and scissors, so they have to invent new necessities. Pretty soon you will need no skill at all to make an heirloom quilt! Cricut to cut the pieces, this seam fence to sew seams on a totally computerized machine, a computer guided longarm to do the quilting...where's the skill? A six year old could do it. :cry: Sorry, hit a nerve I guess. [/quote

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM

I have an awful time achieving consistent scant 1/4-inch seams and welcome any method that helps me achieve good results. Cutting a smidge wider works for me, but I have used many other tools to get where I am today. I do not compare my completed works or how I achieved them with others (and there are masters on this board!) but feel a sense of accomplishment when I have finished a project to the best of my own ability. What is one person’s so-called “skill” may not be another’s. Who is right?

We are our own worst critics and I’m sure we hold ourselves to a higher standard. However, this Board is here to support, encourage and advise. Not to judge others for the methods they use to enjoy their art of quilting. Sorry, hit a nerve, I guess.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 AM

I intended no judgement or criticism of anyone with what I said earlier. My apologies if it was misinterpreted as such.

There is a review and a larger photo of this device at Meijers. http://www.meijer.com/pwr/product-re...ing-Guide.html The review is not good.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
There is a review and a larger photo of this device at Meijers. http://www.meijer.com/pwr/product-re...ing-Guide.html The review is not good.
Oh, my. On that close-up I see that the strips are fed through the plastic. I can see why that would not work well!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Thank you to those of you who described the product better. That is exactly the type of response I was looking for when I posted. I didn't see one locally and the pics online were not that clear to me. It is not what I thought it was and I am glad I didn't jump right in and buy it. I will try the moleskin.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM

I intended no judgement or criticism of anyone with what I said earlier. My apologies if it was misinterpreted as such.

I'm glad to hear that you meant no criticism. :)

There are so many reasons why people get into their hobby. Some want to create heirloom quality quilts, while others might just want to pass the time. For me, it's usually a way to relax and unwind from a stressful day. I have no desire to create a show quilt. I just enjoy working on them and seeing how the finished quilt comes out. I'm far from perfect, but the recipients would never notice. Some people want every gadget to help them achieve perfection, while others only want the basics. I'm somewhere in between. I'm glad I found this board. I've learned so much from other people's experience, and probably have saved money in the long run because of it.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM

That was nice of you to repost ghostrider so there would not be a misunderstanding :)....it is hard to write something and have it come out wrong. Everyone here is so friendly and helpful...glad you did that.

Margie