Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide? >

O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide?

O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 AM

Has anyone tried the O'lipfa Seams Sew Fast Strip Piecing Guide? I've got my hubby piecing, but he could use some help with accurate seams. From what I've read, this guide is removeable. I'd want to be able to remove it when doing the quilting. Anyone have experience with it?

http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/083711.html
Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 AM

I have no idea how well that gizmo works, but it really saddens me how 'specialized' all the manufacturers are getting with new products quilters MUST have. They can only sell so many needles and scissors, so they have to invent new necessities. Pretty soon you will need no skill at all to make an heirloom quilt! Cricut to cut the pieces, this seam fence to sew seams on a totally computerized machine, a computer guided longarm to do the quilting...where's the skill? A six year old could do it. :cry: Sorry, hit a nerve I guess.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I have no idea how well that gizmo works, but it really saddens me how 'specialized' all the manufacturers are getting with new products quilters MUST have. They can only sell so many needles and scissors, so they have to invent new necessities. Pretty soon you will need no skill at all to make an heirloom quilt! Cricut to cut the pieces, this seam fence to sew seams on a totally computerized machine, a computer guided longarm to do the quilting...where's the skill? A six year old could do it. :cry: Sorry, hit a nerve I guess.
I inquired about this project for my husband, not for myself. He has decided to show an interest in my hobby, but if I have to stop what I'm doing constantly to help him, it's very annoying. So when I saw this item, I wondered if it would be good for him, since he's only use the machine a few times. That way he can sew on his own and I might still be able to enjoy MY hobby without distraction. I wondered about the product...I wasn't expecting to be judged badly for considering using a gadget to help him get his seams right. :(
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM

I'm assuming that your husband isn't using the same machine as you are. There have been many suggestions about help in keeping the 1/4 inch seams, one of which is just plain old moleskin, which would be a long cheaper in the long run, because once he learns to do the seam, then he won't need it any more. I really don't think ghostrider was "judging" you, but I can certainly agree with, but they're really just "in our own opinion", please don't think we're judging you. Congratulations on your hubby wanting to learn your "hobby".
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 AM

Oh, I don't think she was really judging you, I think, as she said, "It just hit a nerve." For myself, I am a newbie, and I have every gadget ever invented to help w/quilting. :oops: IMHO, they actually extended the learning process and are not really of any use. :? It is kind of like keeping your training wheels on too long. I had become dependent and now I have to work really hard at just cutting or sewing a straight line on my own. HTH
Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Wow, what a response! I for one like gizmos and gadgets. Sorry, but if I were to have posted this same question and got the same response I would be very unhappy.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

I applaud you in getting hubby to join you in your hobby! It is so awesome! Good luck!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

At a cost of about 11 bucks, I would say go for it.
Every newbie sewer needs some help, and not necessarily for a live person.
Don't most of us use a 1/4 in foot to help us make more perfect seams. And a cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter to cut more accurate pieces. I still use all these things and have been quilt making for many years. I could never have made over 150 quilts if I hadn't found all these gizmos to help me out.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Good for you hubby for sharing your interest and what a great way to free up your time by getting him to sew the strips for you! I haven't used one of those, but give it a whirl, I am all about gadgets to help you!!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I'm assuming that your husband isn't using the same machine as you are. There have been many suggestions about help in keeping the 1/4 inch seams, one of which is just plain old moleskin, which would be a long cheaper in the long run, because once he learns to do the seam, then he won't need it any more. I really don't think ghostrider was "judging" you, but I can certainly agree with, but they're really just "in our own opinion", please don't think we're judging you. Congratulations on your hubby wanting to learn your "hobby".
Actually, he is using my machine. Which is why I hoped to get some feedback on this product before I bought it. I don't want to attach anything that I can't remove.