Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso iron? >

Oliso iron?

Oliso iron?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM

I am considering buying an Oliso iron model 1600, the one used on Fons and Porter. I see mixed reviews on them. Has anyone used one of these irons? I don't want to waste my money on an expensive iron, but I can't seem to find one that works well and doesn't leak all over the place. Anyone have a comment or a recommendation on a good iron?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 PM

I have a cheap Black and Decker that I love. No automatic shut off - just an iron that gets HOT and doesn't spit. Bought it off eBay but I think you can get in stores.

I am done with expensive irons. Just my opinion of course. The one you are looking at may be quite fabulous.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM

I have been using myh Black and Decker for years and never had a leak or spt when I didn't want it to. I have had very expensive irons that did not do any better pressing, ironing or steaming then the cheaper ones.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

I've only had mine a few months, but I love it. Best iron I've ever had!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM

I had one of the earlier Oliso irons and loved it. Then a lady in my quilting group dropped it on a concrete floor and messed up the electronics and doesn't work anymore. I loved how accessible all the dials and switches were. I loved it and eventually will replace it but right now, it is the Rowenta.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM

I have the one right before the yellow, it's turquiose. I LOVE My Oliso!! I know some have mentioned they've had problems with theirs, but I have heard that about every brand of iron out there, cheap, medium, investment, and I have money to burn types. These are irons=manufactured items not created miracles, so you are going to get good ones and lemons. If I got a lemon I would exchange it once. If the problems persist with the new one I would take it back and get my money returned. Do not get rid of the packaging for at least 3 months and always keep your receipt for at least a year. JMHO
Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

I had a series of the older models. I now have the yellow and it has been working now for a few months. So far no problems. However, I would not replace it with an expensive one. I do like the legs that jump up and down.
If you do get one but do as the other post suggest, keep box and receipts and get it exchanged and go directly to the factory if necessary. I would be cautious buying it from their booth at a quilt show unless the booth people are from the company. There are groups who sell the iron who are not from the company and some are difficult to deal wth if you have a problem and didn't buy directly from them.
The best advice on buying an iron is the one that says get the cheaper ones and toss when problems.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

pretty much every iron you put water in will at some point leak- sputter- and spit hot water---doesn't matter if it cost $189 or $10.
if you do not want to deal with that- do not put water in your iron- keep a spray bottle of water on your ironing board and simply spritz with that when a little steam is needed- works much better- and you never get burned from sputtering hot water.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned

I went through two Rowentas and a Maytag within a 4 year period before I started buying the cheaper ones. I'm using a Shark that I bought at Target two years ago and I really like it. It cost about twenty dollars. I took it to a quilt retreat last weekend and everybody who used it liked it.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 PM

I got one when they first came out and have had it for several years. It's a really great iron but the up/down on mine does not always work when it should so I have to keep an eye on it. I just set it upright if it doesn't lift when I put it down. It worked fine for a few years but now I have it in my classroom and it really gets a workout.

I think all irons will leak if you fill them too full, or try to use them at an awkward angle, or set them down for a few moments vs. upright when ironing. I just "iron" up the wet spot and continue on.