Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Iron >

Oliso Iron

Oliso Iron

Old 09-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Dj2

Default Oliso Iron

I have had an Oliso iron for about 2 1/2 years. All of a sudden it quit heating. The lights come on, but it doesn't heat up. I used it in the morning, and the same afternoon is when it quit working.
any ideas on what to do ??
Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM

I'm assuming your warranty is up?

Buy a new one.

I had a very good quality, expensive iron several years ago, it did the same thing. My son loves to take things apart and fix them, so I handed it to him. He found that the thermal fuse had gone bad. Ordered a new one, installed it, iron worked great.

Problem is, it took him quite a while to get the iron taken apart and put back together. If I'd paid some technician to fix it, it would have cost the same as a brand new iron.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Dj2

Thanks for the info on the fuse. Probably will have to buy a new iron :-(
Old 09-08-2015, 05:41 PM

2.5 years is definitely enough time for a sewist or quilter to wear out an iron, especially irons that shut off after a period of time, like the Olisio. They constantly cook and reheat, then cool again. Best to buy super cheap or super expensive. I finally purchasd a pressure steam (dry steam) iron last winter and donated my Olisio to a friend.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I have never had this happen to me before. I have only owned Rowenta. Some of these irons are so mechanized that they brake down easily.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I quit buying irons that were over $30. Learned my lesson after the third expensive iron. I use the Black and Decker Classic. It gets hot, has good steam and inexpensive. I bought two extra ones when they were not auto shut off as I knew they would not be made anymore. Lowe's use to sell the no auto shut off Classic. All are auto shut off now. I buy the really cheap irons at Walmart for $7 - $9 to use for fusibles. When I need to take a door prize for guild I take one of these irons. They are always received with a smile.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:27 AM

I just recently went back to buying a Rowena after using one at a retreat....forgot how fast and hot they get. I'm just really careful about putting water it in, making sure it's empty after every use. My old one started leaking after only several years and gave it to Goodwill. Wished I had kept it for dry only iron. Oh well, love my new one.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:04 AM

I used to own a very expensive iron and it quit working also and I found it heavy. I went to Walmart and got a cheap
Rival iron...it is light weight and steams really well and cost less than $15. If it stops working, I can just throw it away and buy another. The only drawback I have found is that it does not hold a lot of water but I don't mind refilling it more often. I have had it for 2 years and it is still working fine.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:24 AM

Personally I have never owned an iron that cost more than 35.00. My Mom had a Rowenta and that thing leaked something terrible. But I've used Rowenta irons when I went to classes at my LQS, had a friend who had one and they never had problems. I read all the threads concerning the different irons and am convinced that it's probably best of keep buying the less expensive irons instead of investing in something that cost 2 to 3 times more. Currently I am using a Black and Decker that I purchased at Ollies Bargain Outlet and paid 21.00 for is. I do have to be careful because at times it spits so I turn the heat down, and using an old towel I press the steam button till the rusty stuff stops. I've cleaned it several times with vinegar and water, also have used the iron cleaner that you squeeze the stuff onto an old towel and run the iron over it to clean the plate off and the holes. I've had it about 2 years so I think it might be about time for another iron.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
2.5 years is definitely enough time for a sewist or quilter to wear out an iron, especially irons that shut off after a period of time, like the Olisio. They constantly cook and reheat, then cool again. Best to buy super cheap or super expensive. I finally purchasd a pressure steam (dry steam) iron last winter and donated my Olisio to a friend.
ClairvoyantQuilter, could you share what this is and brand name please? Thanks