Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG help, need suggestions

OMG help, need suggestions

My youngest is finally getting married (he is 32). I am thrilled, have known soon to be DIL since she was 16. They have asked for an autograph quilt for the wedding which I am excited to make BUT....... and here is the problem, they want it to be half alabama and half florida gators. Any suggestions as to what to do to accomplish this and not make the ugliest quilt ever. Just imagining the mix of colors is scary,,,,please HELP.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Blog Entries
    Would you be willing to make it two sided? That way it's still 1/2 and 1/2!!! Good luck!
    Go forth and sew!

That's what I was thinking......front/back!

I first thought the same. When I suggested it to them they said they want to be able to display both at the same time. I'm glad I have until the end of April. I was thinking maybe something with a log cabin block in barn raising or something similar where the rounds alternate teams. I certainly dont know what yet. Thanks for any help.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Blog Entries
    how about making two quilts... not too wide each. then put gripper snaps along the adjoining sides. that way, they can separate them for their own use, too.
    Nancy in western NY

Gators - Orange and blue?
    Alabama - Red and black?

Either a crackerjack pattern alternating blocks with their school colors: http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepattern/

or (this is my first choice) a t-shirt quilt using equal blocks for each team. The blocks could have thin borders like 1 inch finshed of school colors. example: Gator blocks would have first an orange border then a blue border. Alabama blocks a red border, then a black border. Have plenty of blank space on the blocks so people can autograph the t-shirt blocks like they autograph t-shirts at the end of the school year.
    Last edited by AlienQuilter; 09-16-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Maybe you could make a 'mountains' quilt with blocks of tri-square triangles in rows in their colors; or do rows of bowties; or even hearts. Between the rows you could place signature blocks -- there are many kinds of these.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Glad it is you and not me. I don't have the patience to try and figure that out. Good luck.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

does the lucky couple know that it may not look good using the colors of the two teams? i don't know the team colors. maybe it does't matter how kookie it looks to them! maybe run it past them when you choose a pattern. maybe color it so they know what it will look like. once you get the ok from them, go for it!

Don't know what this type of quilt is so I cannot help..... just wanted to wish you luck and say that we would all love to see pictures of the finished article!!!!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast