Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One armed quilters? >

One armed quilters?

One armed quilters?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Default One armed quilters?

I took a terrible fall in Dec that resulted in a torn rotor cuff. After the accident I only had about 40% mobility in my left arm. I知 grateful my hand works normally. Before I could have surgery we had to take care of a few other health issues I was having. I finally had the surgery 2 weeks ago and I have the same mobility as before surgery. Surgeon is saying give it some time and I値l start Physical Therapy in 2 weeks.
I have not been able to sew since the accident. I知 going crazy not sewing. I figured out if I lower my sewing machine I don稚 have to lift my arm so high. It痴 very awkward but it痴 a start. I知 trying to be creative to my new approach to sewing.
My question is there any one armed quilters out there? How do you do it? Any suggestion would be welcome.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:47 PM

So sorry to hear of your injury! The surgery you have been through is a really tough, painful one so I've heard from friends. Happy for you that that is behind you. Therapy will be a long haul, I'm sure.
I have no advice for one armed quilting but wish you a good outcome! I always wondered how people managed to sew on hand-cranked machines. Maybe one of them will have some advice for you. Best wishes!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM

I have had 3 surgeries on my shoulders. I did need to take a little time off but I figured out how to sew on the machine and even cut fabrics while wearing my sling. Ergonomics really plays in here. Get your machine at the right level. Use your bad arm to just direct fabric feeding into the machine. Thread the machine and all other "movement intensive" things with your good arm. It was tricky when my right arm (twice) was the one in the sling, as I am right handed. I had my DH help with any folding needed doing. Use your good arm for any pressing. Be really careful not to use the bad arm too much. You will pay for that!
Because mine were planned surgeries, I was able to get a few things done ahead of time that would have been much more difficult. Be careful and keep that arm close to your body, move your body to get in position not the arm.
I hope your heal quickly and fully.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Last edited by Jim's Gem; 04-27-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

it took me a full year to get my full range of motion back after my rotator cuff surgery. sounds like you have found a way to use your sewing machine.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

You have to be so careful first. I usually only use my right hand to guide the fabric thru the needle. Take it slow.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:57 PM

I have a quilting buddy who was born with one arm. She uses a hoop to hold her fabric as she guides it through her machine.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 AM

be careful do not go moving your arm too much until you get into therapy. they know how to get you started
Old 04-28-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

My Husband had surgery on both his rotator cuffs. He doesn't sew but finds it very hard to use his arms over his head. He had very bad tears, ortho doc said it was very hard to mend them. He did the physical therapy.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 AM

Are you interested in hand sewing or EPP?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 AM

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago, and I was told to do nothing for 4 months, I followed Dr's instructions, now my should is good, I could not hand quilt, EPP or anything else, I did try, but very glad that I did not push it.