Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: One Block Wonder: Hexagon or Octagon?

One Block Wonder: Hexagon or Octagon?

In your opinion what is easier, hexagon or octagon one block wonder?
    Last edited by okie2tx; 12-14-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Power Poster
    I think the Octagon is easier to make into blocks to put together. The hexagon is fine if you don't make the mistake of sewing the plates together and do them in 1/2 plate rows. I think the easiest of the patterns is 4 Patch Posy. There is an absolutely beautiful one done on QB in purple and green. You might want to go to the Picture Gallery in Pictures and check them all out.

I think the hexagon is far easier than the octagon. Sewing on all those corners takes time, and isn't that easy. I also like the look of the hexagon quilt more. When I see *most* (certainly not all) octagon quilts, I see the vertical and horizontal lines, and that somehow interferes with the flow of the design for me.

Blog Entries
    I have made 5 hexagon and one octagon OBW. I think the Hexagon is more fun as there is choice in which way the triangles go together and you decide which design you like best. In the Octagon they only have one way to be placed. I also didn't enjoy the little corners that go between the blocks. The look on the Octagon was great, but I would do the Octagon again - they are fun and always a surprise.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Blog Entries
    I think the hexagon is easier. As another poster mentioned, just make sure that you make half hexes so you can easily join them into rows.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Personal choice here. Also you would want to consider how much material is needed for 6 vs 8 sided OBW's.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali