Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Block Wonder - Wrong Fabric? >

One Block Wonder - Wrong Fabric?

One Block Wonder - Wrong Fabric?

Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM

Default One Block Wonder - Wrong Fabric?

I picked a fabric that had a 12" repeat as instructed and then stacked and cut and laid out my kaleidoscopes on my design wall. It just doesn't look like I expected - the blocks look so similar to the original fabric that I may as well not have done a thing. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?
Here's the Original Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401569[/ATTACH]
Here's the cut-up result
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401571[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails obw-original-fabric.jpg   obw-layout-1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Not enough different colors in the print and need a bigger background space between the print. A character print is nice for this pattern. You can use another fabric and mix with the blocks you have.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Subtle but still beautiful. I might search for the same butter yellow or pink background and add the triangles that make the blocks into stars. Check out the OBW in the QB Quilt gallery for some different layouts. The more contrast in tones, patterns and colours make for interesting blocks but it is always as Forest Gump would say..."OBW are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Looks good to me. You can play with the placement a bit. All dark blocks in one corner or whatever you like. I am very intimidated by OBW. Maybe I will find courage one of these days. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

It looks ok to me unless you wanted more contrast. I like the subtle change in value. If you wanted more contrast then a greated value in color probably was necessary. I find that using the hinged mirror helps see what the final block would be. However, it is too late for that test.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Banned

Very Pretty, but I see what you mean. I want to attempt a stack and whack - just not sure what fabric to purchase.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:05 PM

I did one out of a similarly designed fabric but in order to show off the individual kaleidoscopes I added triangles of a complimentary fabric to separate the designs. Really like the way it came out. Can't seem to get pictures to post from this phone though. I did use smaller triangles I think.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I also agree that you should play with the arrangement, the colors are lovely.
I think that another thing to consider is the size of the triangles you used. The standard is around 4" high, but if the triangle is about the same size as the motif, you don't get much variation, so in this case a smaller triangle would have isolated the colors more and given more variety.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

All is not lost for this pretty fabric. It might not end up as a true OBW but if you put a sashing on these blocks I think it would bring out each block more like a kaleidoscope. I thing that would be really cool for this fabric. A medium green like in the leaves. Try laying a narrow strip between a few of the blocks and see if you like it. peace
Old 03-13-2013, 03:39 PM

You could try either sashing as ube quilting suggested for I had one I wasn't happy with and put extra triangles around each one
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...es-t85786.html

I also like to find a fabric with a bigger repeat, usually 24" as you would get more variety in your blocks, but that doesn't always work either.
I like your fabric and I'm sure you will end up with something you are happy with if you just play with it a little more