Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One-Block-Wonders... Any suggestions? >

One-Block-Wonders... Any suggestions?

One-Block-Wonders... Any suggestions?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Default One-Block-Wonders... Any suggestions?

I started this quilt 6 years ago just before a move. It got put in a box and now I've gotten it out and am trying to finish it. I posted it in the UFO therapy thread but I need lots of suggestions and encouragement so I'm hoping everyone can come to my aide. I sewed some of the strips together (see the post-its on the strips) but I have a bunch of hexis still to blend in somehow. I guess the 'plan' got mixed around somehow or I just don't remember how I wanted to line these up. I'm feeling a brain-freeze .... cause it really frustrates me when I'm working on it.

Have any of you made a OBW? Do you have any suggestions for me? I find that once I get a design 'down pat' in my head I can really whiz through a finish but sometimes it takes me the longest to get that design 'set' in my head. So, please pick my brain..... HELP!!
Attached Thumbnails obw1.jpg   obw2.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 AM

You may not use all of your hexis - assume you will have some which just don't do anything for you. If you don't like the way the colors are playing out, or where some of the leftovers are supposed to go, maybe you should loosen up the strips (that's a euphemism for RIP OUT - LOL) so you can play around with the whole thing? Maybe you were going to use some of them in one of those helf-hexi borders, or do a big border and float a few of them in the border?
Do you have the OBW book? It can give you come cool ideas about how to finish it off with pizazz.

Good luck and more power to you - it is a daunting task indeed to take up something after so long. I salute you! (my UFO's are growling at me and scoffing at me from the bottom drawer...)
Old 01-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I agree with SueSew. The book even talks about the fact that you will probably not use all your hexagons. You can use them to make potholders, tote bags etc. I like the way it looks now! I'd fill in the two bottom corners and call it done. I square all mine off, so after you sew all the patches together, I'd cut off the excess at the top & bottom. Add a narrow solid or blender border, pulling a color from the fabric. Add a wider border, either using the focus fabric (if you have any left) or another blender. I love OBWs!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 AM

It looks like you started with lights on the top left and then the hexis get progressively darker as you move towards the bottom right. But somehow those medium values have been stuck in the lower left instead of forming a diagonal transition band between the light and dark. Yeah, I'd take some apart and play around with the arrangement, take a photo, play some more, walk away, take more photos and then let it all stew in my brain overnight. But then again, I'm a great 'stewer'--just ask my pile of ufo's

BTW gorgeous OBW. Love the colours and patterns. When the main part is done, I would pick a darker colour and do a narrow border and then (hoping you have some of the original fabric left) use the original fabric as the outside border.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

There is a great video link in QB tutorials. It might give you some ideas. It is from http://www.ifthesethreadscouldtalk.com and you click on the OBW tab.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

WOW. I totally understand how you want to have a balanced quilt. I moved TOO but I made sure everything was numbered. I use pieces of leftover scraps and write various alpha and number combinations so I am always able to put the blocks back in the original order. Since you have a design wall, I would do a small section and once you are happy with the layout, move onto another section. If you get the urge to move the blocks around, take a digital picture so that if you want to go back to what you had before the change, you have a reference. Take your time and I am sure you will get it right. GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:08 PM

If these threads could talk no no longer has the tutorials, just pics of her quilts because they said the tutorials were copyright infringement.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM

I think you're on the right track. It looks like you have the hexies separated out into color, and I can see a flow in your top. One thing that you can do is google One Block Wonder and look at the Images tab for pictures. People have been doing some neat things with their hexies. That might help. I think yours looks great, but it's your quilt, and if you're not happy with it, keep playing with it!