Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM

We have a LQS very close to my home. The few times I have been in there, have been very much like your experience. Even when they do speak to me, they are sarcastic! I have a friend who works in a LQS 25 miles away & even the salespersons there talk about how nasty the people are in the near shop! I was very surprised to hear that because I thought it was just me? They have a very bad reputation! It's a shame because I know I would shop there more if they were friendly. My husband was with me once & he agreed.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM

It's too bad we can't make a list of these less-than-friendly quilt shops & publish it to warn off other quilters!?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by JudyG
The local stores around me(all at least 45 minutes away) are great. But --- I was in Redmond, Oregon last week with my quilting group and we all went to a quilt store there and I was less than happy with them. I have a hard time picking out fabrics to go together and want to make a bargello that takes 20 different fabrics, 10 lights and 10 darks, and I want them all to be shades of blue. I have a good portion of them, but still needed a couple more. I asked the gal at the counter (there were, I believe, 4 employees working) if anyone there was good with color and could help me with selecting a couple more fabrics to go with what I already had. Her answer was, "No." Period. No offer to at least try to help me or anything. I was absolutely floored. One of my friends and I were selecting fabrics, and one of the gals did come over and give an opinion on the ones we were looking at, but I left that place less than enthusiastic about returning again.
The woman that owns that shop is well known as a old snag! I should have warned you!!

My sis in law just started quilting this past winter...her first project was a set of placemats, and she wanted a solid green for the border. Went into that shop and inquired about a solid and was told, "We are a REAL quilt shop, we don't carry solids!" Peggy was shocked, but went onto ask where she'd find a solid green, Hancocks or Joannes? Was told, "I don't have the slightest idea, I haven't been in one of those stores in years."
I don't give that woman money when I can avoid it!!

The other place I won't part with money in is the Stitchin' Post in Sisters. They either ignore you totally or are just plain rude. Figure they don't much care whether I spend money there or not, so I don't!

The store in Prineville ROCKS tho!! Rhonda is the sweetest thing...helpful and cheerful.
We can only hope that some of these quilt shop owners/employees read this page. Can you imagine how you might feel if you realized that others saw you this way!?! Maybe you would change your behavior.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewin'sam
It's too bad we can't make a list of these less-than-friendly quilt shops & publish it to warn off other quilters!?
What if they were just having a bad day? Would you like somebody to put you out of business because you had a bad day?

Nobody is perfect and everybody has off days.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by sewin'sam
What if they were just having a bad day? Would you like somebody to put you out of business because you had a bad day?

Nobody is perfect and everybody has off days.
The shop that Charlee and I have been too can't be chalked up to a "bad day". I personally been in the store several times only to recieve extremely rude and poor service. This woman is a dragon and is well known throughout the region. A snob is a snob!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

I had a belittling experience at the largest store around [40 miles away-we are not blessed here with any LQS as you are]
I wanted to start quilting but was clueless and told them so, there was a divine lap quilt made from a celtic panel which I thought was within my capability------I was derided and virtually told it was easy but not for me , there were only a few panels inserted and I knew that I could do it!
That was 3 yrs ago and I never went near but you all told me about American silky var cotton and as I'd only used king tut thought I would try it SO I rang them up and asked if they stocked it ,they did -I told them that I would only go if they were more civil -------went they fell over themselves ,coffee/bisc/chair and apologised ,shopkeepers need to be told their role if they don't know it -----it makes me wonder why some exist ,the nearest small LQS is SO rude even to the point of denying they've sold the fabric they have.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

I totally agree at what you did.He probably got your message.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM

I totally agree.When I was supervisor of our county branch of the state home health agency and needed to discuss things with an employee, I always took them to my office and shut the door.When you treat people with respect, they do better and will respect you, It totally turns me off when Isee a boss repremanding someone in front of customers.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Boy, I bet if we could get all the local quilt shops to read these blurbs they would change their ways in a hurry. I think everyone handled this problem admirably!