Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One of the reasons I learned to quilt >

One of the reasons I learned to quilt

One of the reasons I learned to quilt

Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM

I have a friend who shuttle tats and she would not teach me. My DH bought me needles and a book to needle tat and I taught myself with the book. The title is Learn to Needle Tat. I have made everything from a bookmark to placemats, not much I haven't tried. In fact this summer I tatted a baby bonnet.
I learned to quilt because I love working with fabric and color. I remembered after I took a class, that when I was about 10 my grand mother had me make a small quilt as a head rest cover for my grandfather's chair.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

mostly need but was taught as a child not to sit idle even at night===
lampshades--wanted 10 and couldn't afford them
crochet--needed to replace my GGM doyleys
simple curtains---HATE shop bought ones
corn dollies----fund raising dog reascue
liberty photo frames--- DITTO
embroidery ---ditto
garlands-- ditto
knitted dog coats/balls and toys-ditto.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 AM

Until I watched a PBS, Georgia Bonesteel Lap Quilting show, quilting didn't interest me. Bang, I was hooked, watching her cut, sew, cut, sew again and a really great design happened did it for me. When my Mom's house was emptied, my sister asked me if there was anything special I wanted, I requested the textiles. Quilts, finished and not, napkins, tea towels etc. are now in my possesion. I think that I am the only one in my family who appreciates them.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 AM

I just started. I have always liked quilts, but have been afraid to try making them, Getting over that fear is an accomplishment for me.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 AM

It's in my bones! I wish I had learned to tat. Maybe someday!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by deema
I just wanted to make a quilt. No reason, just cause. So I did, and just never stopped.

It was like that for me too. My sister was around my grandmother when she quilted and she never wanted to learn how to make quilts.My cousins didn't either. I wasn't made to learn how,it was something I wanted to do from deep inside me.My grandma didn't push me to learn new techniques, I was always asking her to teach me more ways to make quilts.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM

I just fell in love with the craft. I am self taught, nobody really sewed/quilted in my family. When I first started, somebody told me I wasn't "any good" at it because I was off a lot on my measurements.

I took that as a challenge and have placed 2nd and 3rd in our counties Folk Festival quilt show. The person who told me I "wasn't any good" put stuff in to be judged and didn't place! HEHEHEHEHE
Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM

I have been sewing for 42 yrs now - made clothes, cross-stitched for a long time. When the kids were in school and I was at home, a friend started a quilting group at her church. Last summer I pulled out a quilt that my aunt asked me to finish, and i've been working on stuff at home.

For me, it's an honor to finish the quilts that my aunt started all those years ago. My next quilt will be made from pieces that my grandmother cut out before she died. There is an honor beyond belief touching those same fabrics she so meticulously cut out over 65 years ago.