Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One too many expos? >

One too many expos?

One too many expos?

Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 AM

I guess there are two ways to look at this. Quilting has a looooong history, so some of the best "stuff" looks just like it did a hundred years ago. Historically, all it took to make a quilt was the good part of worn-out clothes, a scissors, needle, thread, and lots of time. We have become so gadget oriented that the marketing is for bigger, faster, easier. Jo, I'm like you, maybe I've seen the same thing too many times, and I don't need another ruler. I'm happiest in my own humble sewing room. But, I'll probably go to the next expo - just in case !
Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 AM

Overstuffed booths drive me a little crazy, especially when they're crowded. I feel like I can't move or I'm going to knock something over, especially if I already have a bag full of stuff slung over my shoulder. I usually won't go into a booth like that, I'll stand back and give a look, and if nothing really wonderful catches my eye, I move on. I will gladly miss a deal to avoid dealing with a crowd.

I don't tend to buy a lot at expos and shows though. Fabric if it's a good deal and comes in at least a half-yard cut. Thread, if it's a good deal and something I need. MAYBE a decorative item, more likely to buy it if it's handmade. I bought a pattern once. Mostly I go just to look at the quilts and to kind of immerse myself in the quilting world for a little bit.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I think some of us have hit a stage in life where we have ENOUGH! and have become a lot more selective in what we want or need to bring home.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Any quilty thing, big or small, is hugely motivational for me.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I like going to big quilt shows and expos. I don't really care what type of quilts are displayed, I love looking at them thinking someone made this at their home on their sewing machine. I visit every vendor booth. I ask questions. I wait patiently to see a demo. I spend all day sometimes two or three days if I have to travel to go there. I always go alone. Even my best quilt friends can't do my pace at quilt shows. They want to rest too much.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 AM

I have never been to a big quilt show, just small local ones. Now that I'm retired I may go to the Grand Rapids show in August. After organizing my stash last week (found 3 wolf panels) and some of my accessories, I don't even feel like going to quilt stores. I did though go Monday to see if I wanted to get anything with my retirement gift certificate and bought some fabric for my granddaughters quilt who is graduating to a big girl bed.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:20 AM

I passed on our expo this year because last year when I went I had the same feeling, every booth the same as the one before it and the same as last year. I found myself telling DH yesterday that I am looking forward to next year's expo. Maybe I just needed a break. Shop Hop is next week and I am so looking forward to it.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Just went to our quilt show yesterday, had two pair of scissors sharpened and looked at all the quilts. I wasn't much interested in the vendors as a friend and I shop hopped to Denver just a month ago and before that went on a shop hop (10 quilt shops) in our area. I will be going back tomorrow (I will work at the admissions table) to look at the quilts again. Even when the quilts aren't my style I do learn from them. I especially like it when the quilters give an explanation or story about their quilts.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I don't go to quilt shows for the booths. Sure, I wander through them, but unless I'm really captivated by something new or looking for something specific I seldom buy. But oh my, the quilts! Those are what I go to see, and I don't care if they're modern or traditional (though I don't like shows that have mostly small art quilts). I like looking at the quilting, the piecing, the fabrics, the designs. I take digital pictures of most of the quilts and enjoy looking through them when I'm trying to decide what to make next. So what disappoints me in a quilt show is not having enough quilts, or (if it's a professional show) not having quilts that are well made.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:07 AM

When I went to my first Quilt Show a few years ago I walked in and thought I had died and gone to heaven! All my favorite stuff in one big room. I bought so many wonderful things - fabric, patterns, kits, etc - I found it all so inspirational. There were lots of booths with so many different things including hand embroidery, so many different types of fabulous quilts, embroidery on wool, penny rugs, handbags, gift items, I could go on & on. Anyway, It was a 10 hour drive to get to it so didn't have a chance to go again until this past spring. When I went this time I was SO dissappointed!! Practically every booth had the same things and they weren't my taste. Big loud fabric with huge pattern and big block quilts are not my thing. As someone else mentioned all those swirls and feathers from long arm machines are fine but not on almost every quilt. Thanks for letting me rant - I won't be rushing back to that Quilt Show any time soon. I go to my favorite quilt shops when we travel and I find them more inspirational. Guess I'm getting old. ha ha