Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online fabric shopping! Help! >

Online fabric shopping! Help!

Online fabric shopping! Help!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM

I really like the Fabric Shack. They have a huge selection and you don't have to buy a whole yard. You can buy as little as 1/4 yard. I also like Hancock's of Paducah. Both have excellent, fast service. I find that the colors match what you see on line very well. The only thing I would watch out for when buying on line is the scale of the prints. To me they look smaller on line and I've been surprised when receiving fabric at how big the print is. Welcome to the Board!!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Colors are hard to match unless your familiar with the line which is why I seldom buy fabric online unless I've seen it in person, have bought some unusable fabric before from different vendors which are commonly used here. To me it's wasted money and a risk you assume by shopping online IMHO
Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 AM

I love buying on-line and have never had problems. Being so far from the US means a package takes about a month to arrive, but that only makes the surprise element so much greater. I like to buy the bundles and with very few exceptions have loved every piece. I have yet to purchase a specific line for a specific quilt, but since I usually find the bulk of the fabrics right here in my stash, I have not had the need to buy fabric for a whole quilt. The variety is awesome and surpasses anything and everything to be found locally.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 AM

I, too, order a lot of fabric online and have never been disappointed. One of my favorite shops is The Old Country Store. Their prices are a little less than the LQS for the same fabric and they often ship the same day that I order! I have also ordered from most of the other sites already mentioned and have been pleased with both the fabric and the service. I, especially, like the sites which have a "design wall" so you can see swatches of fabric next to each other.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 AM
QKO

If you shop in full line shops and choose colors from one manufacturers line and blenders, that's one way to make sure your colors work together.

When in doubt, call and ask! Many of us small shop owners will take plenty of time to answer questions, help with color coordination, and even send you samples if you are unsure. If we are unsure of what you're after, we may offer to send you several samples for you to choose the one that works for you. Small owners depend on repeat business -- we want you to be totally satisfied with your purchases.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 AM

I have ordered fabric on line for years also. There usually is a discription of the fabric, color etc. Every once in a while its not exactly what I wanted, I just stick it in my stash. I love Crafttown Fabrics, The Fabric Shack, Fat Quarter shop, and Bunnyhill Designs. Google quiltshops.com, there are over 200 shops connected to that site. You can search by quilt shop or do an item search. Have fun!!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM

Wow! Thanks everyone! Only 1 negative response, guess what I'm gonna do! It's not like I need more fabric but I have a couple proects waiting for some companion fabrics that I just can't come up with out of my stash so I MUST go shopping!
Thank you also for all the links to your favorite fabric sites.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM

I love the fabrics I have purchased from Fabric.com and Connecting Threads.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by noradi View Post
Hello quilters! I too have been lurking behind the curtains & absolutely love this board! There are so many hints, how tos, tutorials & of coarse the inspirational pictures of your beautiful projects. I am addicted to you! I am partially disabled with RA so do a lot of sitting. I love to quilt but don't seem to get as much done as I would like. It is very hard for me to get out to the LQS for fabrics so I have been looking at the online fabric stores. WOW! My question is for those of you that buy fabric online is are you happy with the matching. The pics look great when you see them side by side but what about when you actually have them in hand? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated but am a little nervous if it is a positive response. Hubby may want a divorce after first shopping spree!

I love buying from fabric.com. I have bought from them for several years now. They always give you a wee bit extra on already generous cuts. They have coupon discounts frequently and have free shipping when you make a $35.00 purchase. It takes several days, and then they send you one or two e-mails, one to say they got your order. I pay with PayPal. So that is easier. They send you an e-mail with a tracking number to tell you when it is shipped. They ship by UPS. So it is delivered right to your door. I have never had a problem with them. One time I was shorted a bit on a cut. I called them, and they sent me out another whole cut, and I was told to keep the first one. If you are unsatisfied at all, they will pay for the return shipping. They have all the best designer fabrics and other unknown ones. I have always gotten what I expected with colors. I hope this helps you a bit.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM

With the high price of gas and more and more LQS closing, find I've had to turn to shopping more online. Just this year I started buying from Connecting Threads. I've been very pleased with the quality and they've made it extremely easy to coordinate. A couple of years ago, I thought their fabric line was a bit "flat", but I have changed my opinion and believe they've stepped up their designs to be more competitive. If you're hesitant, order a little of their clearance fabric (some less than $3.00) or pick up a charm or layer cake pack. Think you'll be pleased. Their service is super prompt too. You get a big bang for your buck.