Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online fabric shopping! Help! >

Online fabric shopping! Help!

Online fabric shopping! Help!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Question Online fabric shopping! Help!

Hello quilters! I too have been lurking behind the curtains & absolutely love this board! There are so many hints, how tos, tutorials & of coarse the inspirational pictures of your beautiful projects. I am addicted to you! I am partially disabled with RA so do a lot of sitting. I love to quilt but don't seem to get as much done as I would like. It is very hard for me to get out to the LQS for fabrics so I have been looking at the online fabric stores. WOW! My question is for those of you that buy fabric online is are you happy with the matching. The pics look great when you see them side by side but what about when you actually have them in hand? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated but am a little nervous if it is a positive response. Hubby may want a divorce after first shopping spree!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM

I'm never dissapointed with connecting threads!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM

I've bought some fabric on eBay, and while the images did match, I so far haven't been thrilled with the quality of the non-name brand fabric. I've reached the decision that when I'm shopping for fabric online, I will only buy fabric from recognized names such as Moda, so I know that I can trust the quality. Otherwise, I need to see it before I decide whether it's good enough. I want my quilts to last!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM

I do most of my shopping (fabric) online, seldom have I been dissappointed. It may not look exactly like I thought it would but still works, to be certain things go together you can buy from the same line, all the matching is already done. A good place is Connecting Threads, it's affordable, good quality and gets here pretty quick. Good luck, we'll be waiting to see some projects.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

i've been buying fabric from fabric.com for over 10 years and have never been disappointed- there are lots of other shops out there too- & i purchase from a few others at times- i believe most really work hard to make sure they have good pictures with true colors- but individual computer monitors do vary- some shops (like fabric.com) do offer swatches so you can order a number of swatches & make sure you like what you want before commiting to yardage-
i am (picky) about shops- and shipping charges- i generally shop at the ones that offer free shipping at a reasonable purchase amount --like at $35-$50 spent....if shipping is going to cost as much as a yard of fabric or more i tend to look elsewhere.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM

I order fabric online as it's 30 miles to the closed Walmart or LQS and 50 miles to the closest Joanns. I've always been happy with Connecting Threads. I have also been known to email or call online shops and ask about my selections. Being quilters/sewers, they often have a pretty good eye to what coordinates.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Company have great prices, a daily deal and wonderful tutorials! Check out their website: http://www.missouriquiltco.com/

They have stupendous customer service. They will help you any way they can. If you call them, they will tell you whether or not the fabrics that you want go together and they will actually look around their store to find something that will! Quick shipping too!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 AM

I order from Connecting Threads, Keepsake Quilting and Hancock's of Paducah and I have always been very happy with the fabrics I have bought from them. I have ordered a lot of the matched up Medley's from keepsake Quilting and they have always been just perfect for my projects. I am working on the Serenity Garden kit from Keepsake Quilting now and the fabric is so beautiful.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:20 AM

I've ordered from Keepsake Quilting, Hancock of Paducah, and a shop in Arizona and I've never been disappointed. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, was very happy with my purchases. Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 AM

I love on-line shopping at Favorite Fabrics. For current fabrics , the best prices and service. The staff if you call is extremely helpful. HUGE selection. A plus is that the owner is a frequent contributor here on the board and often gives us previews of new collections. I love that! The images are very true and the site provides great info on how much is in stock.. and if you will be able to order more once that stock is depleted. Plus lists coordinating fabrics .. very valuable infomation when trying to pull together a group of fabrics.
http://www.favoritefabric.com/

Last edited by Lori S; 06-24-2012 at 08:25 AM.