Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online fabric store raised their prices on all fabrics! >

Online fabric store raised their prices on all fabrics!

Online fabric store raised their prices on all fabrics!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM

EXCUSEEEEE ME! Now I'm a little bit miffed. I found what appeared to be a great fabric place online, with a real store front out in the RW, and good prices to boot. My DH bought me a couple of yards of fabric and it came. I'm pleased with the quality and texture, etc.

So today, I'm shopping around online, pretty much trying not to work on my current project, and I end up at their store. Oh this will be nice I think. WRONG. They have raised the rates of their fabrics - EVERYTHING is more. My invoice right here next to me says I paid $4.50 a yard. Nothing at the web site is under $5 a yard. Fabrics I remember being the same price as what I bought are up at least $0.90 a yard. I'm not crazy! There was never anything on the website about super sale everything marked down or anything like that.

Is the fabric market going crazy, stuff that is on clearance can suddenly cost more money? Grumble grumble!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 PM

I'm thinking places are now trying to compensate for the shipping charges to them. So, who PAYS for this? We, the consumer.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM

I suppose you're right, I just went through having it quoted by UPS for the exact package that came to me, they charged me $5.99 and if I was paying the exact shipping, the site tells me it will be $7 and change. But you know what I think I would rather have just paid the exact rate, instead of more per yard, it's honest that way. And if I knew it would cost $7 to ship one pound, I don't think I'd be using UPS anyhow. FedEx seems to be having less trouble lately.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Postal rates are going up again, if they haven't already.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM

they are calling it " price change" meaning somethings are going up and somethings going down. The postmistress did say postcard stamps will go up. but after that...she kept her mouth shut. Times are getting hard. I don't see buying fabric for a while...time to use what i have..even if it doesn't match...could be a new trend in quilting!!! :D
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM

Don't forget....the fuel prices on EVERYTHING are so high these days....all the little shops & websites have to consider this as well before they quote their current prices......I'm not happy with it....but I see it every day...with each & every invoice that hits my desk.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Isn't it better to be honest about these things? Seriously most of this stuff is nothing new that has been creaping up for a period of time. I suppose I feel bad for the next person going through there, thinking they are getting a "great" rate. Me I'll be looking for better sales, even if it means not shopping there again. I know that's the sad way of things and I do love to support the little guy, but when it's between not being able to quilt at all or shopping around...

After all everyone is feeling it, my husband hasn't worked for in the profession he has 20+ years experience in for nearly two years, because there is no work. :(
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Not only are fuel prices driving prices up but also many business are closing. We have less and less fabric mills but the day it seems and a lot of fabrics are now being imported which drives up prices as well.

I know its nice to have pretty fabrics, but to feed the addiction we can always use up old clothing like they did during the depression! It will at least HELP feed the addiction.

I am sorry your having a bum day. I noticed too that prices had gone up in my local Hancocks. Fabric I purchased just last month for $3.97 a yard was $5.00 Sunday.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM

I'm already ahead of you on using old clothing for fabric, we lived in Arkansas for four years and trust me inspite my age at the time, I learned about saving things. I'm currently working on two quilts for my daughter made from her old clothes.

Oh I can hardly imagine how... much of a challenge it would be to make a quilt etc. from dh's old things. Lucky for me he literally wears stuff out.

Oh and the center block of one of my current projects is made from old baby bumper pads that I seam ripped apart. I can't help it I like the fabric! Not new ones mind you old ones that had seen better times. There was one sun spot (I didn't dare use that) and a stained spot that at the time I clipped away.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:56 AM

I intergrate old clothes all the time too. I have used old sheets, pillow cases, you name it! I especially liked it when I got my embroidery machines because I could dress up old stuff some more! Especially when making baby quilts, there are tons and tons of designs for babies. And people are always throwing away buttons, I have mason jars of buttons that people were just throwing away. It amazes me at the things that people just think is garbage and you can give it a new life. My only problem is that I have to be careful not to collect too much stuff due to space restrictions.