Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
online lessons on sandwiching a quilt? >

online lessons on sandwiching a quilt?

online lessons on sandwiching a quilt?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:44 PM

Default online lessons on sandwiching a quilt?

I'm currently refreshing my knowledge by doing a Craftsy course on adding borders - I thought I knew how, but I've picked up some useful tips. So now I'm wondering if I should do the same with assembling a quilt. It's easy to assume we know how to do something, but there's always the possibility that there are different, maybe better methods out there! On Craftsy sandwiching seems to be only a small part of some of the courses, so I wondered if anyone has a go-to video that they'd recommend?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM

My hero, Sharon Schamber, who took the stress out of basting (it works just as well for larger quilts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ
Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

There are many ways to sandwich a quilt. Is there a particular method you are interested in?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:40 PM

I use 505 to spray baste mine. You can find some videos on youtube.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
There are many ways to sandwich a quilt. Is there a particular method you are interested in?
until now I've always worked on the floor, using 505 spray and pins. I just wanted to see if there are any useful hints and tips that might improve my results - or a whole new method! It's a job I dread because my space is very limited.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
My hero, Sharon Schamber, who took the stress out of basting (it works just as well for larger quilts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_EjBGz5vGQ
I've tried in the past, but got completely lost in all the stuff about boards (and where would I get/store those?). But so many people swear by her method that I must look at it again, especially as it might help with my major problem of having very little space available to lay a quilt on the floor.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Power Poster

Do a search on this board for Elmer's washable school glue basting. I use it exclusively. It replaces pin basting not spray basting. Love it
Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 AM

I have next to zero floor space and would have major knee/back issues if I ever tried it to begin with! I use my cutting table (one like they sell at JAF) to sandwich my quilts regardless of size of the quilt. Start in the middle of the quilt and use big binder clips to hold the layers in place as I'm working on them. I either pin or thread baste depending on size of the quilt (larger ones get thread basting as it reduces weight in my opinion). Once I get the center basted, I slide the whole thing left/right/up/down as needed to get the entire quilt basted. Can be a tedious process but I'm not crawling around on the floor or have other areas of the house tied up for long periods of time.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I've tried in the past, but got completely lost in all the stuff about boards (and where would I get/store those?).
I bought my boards at Home Depot. They're in use most of the time, as I take my time basting, but I keep them on the top of a couch back when they're not on the table. But if your space is limited, you probably don't have space for a big enough table for the board method.

There's a detailed explanation of the table and clamp method in Harriet Hargrave's book 'Heirloom Machine Quilting'. You don't need as large a table for that.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I still pin baste with safety pins. If there are any problems with the backing having wrinkles, no problem to fix it easily.