Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Online Retailers >

Online Retailers

Online Retailers

Old 07-03-2014, 04:51 AM

For lower-end machines, I have purchased online. But my more expensive machines (Janome 6600 and 8900), I purchased from a dealer. That being said, I never took any classes from him nor have I received support but that's one me, not him. I'll be curious to see what your dealer says after talking to her.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM

By buying online, you will not be able to get any of the free "new owner" classes offered by every local dealer I've ever known, nor will you be able to build a personal relationship that may just get you some added perks down the road. The dealer is a major factor in where to buy a machine, and price is not the main reason why.

If price is the only reason you're thinking of buying online, by all means give your local dealer the chance to compete.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jackiequilts4fun View Post
So .... do you have a favorite online retailer for particular things related to quilting?

What about sewing machines?
Would there be ANY reason to steer clear of Sewing Machines Plus?

I "get" that buying local comes with local support, but the price I am quoted by SMP, I'm pretty sure my local dealer would not touch.

Give me the good or bad about Sewing Machines Plus, if you have an opinion.
I've never ordered from them, but I'm (so far) impressed with their sales & promise of service.
I bought my machine from Sewing Machines Plus with no regrets. I have no local dealers in my area. I buy everything online, even my fabric.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Maybe you should try a different dealer, the machines (new and used) I've bought from the dealer will ask you what you're looking for in a machine and won't try to sell you on a machine that has all the bells and whistles if all you're looking for is a very basic machine.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 PM

I had a great experience with this company and can only say good things about them. When I had questions I talked to the owner and he explained and answered my questions without hesitation and with no salesmanship or pressure involved. My purchases were all done and the service was excellent. I think on the ratings above, it is hard to get much information from so few of people. Mine was a large on line purchase of which I am totally happy with.

The several people I had talked to on the phone were all nice and helpful as well.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:20 AM

Having read this thread I'm struck by the variation in reviews. It almost sounds like different stores, stocks and personnel. I DO believe that more often it is the unhappy customer who writes a review; most of the happy ones just consider the good service they received as "business as expected". There are so many considerations to spending big bucks for a new machine that I'd want the opportunity to try out the item before making a large investment. If I'm going to do that I feel almost compelled to buy locally. I have no issue with buying from the internet but do feel that the vendor that provided the information used to make my decision deserves to get my business. If the price difference is substantial, I "might" consider buying online but certainly would wonder why and expect answer to why there is the major difference in price (other than the implicit differences in vendor cost between an internet only company and one having a retail building). Joyce in Delaware
Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
I would at least give local dealer a chance to match. It is a little unfair to say they would not if you did not ask. Then I would be interested if they try to match. I have heard that they sometimes can add so many accessories that it makes a pretty good deal. then you have someone local to help when needed
That is exactly what I did when I bought my Bernina 1530 !! Would you buy a car online?? I have always used what I learned from purchasing cars and use that info in purchasing a DSM.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 AM

I have bought parts from Sewing Machines Plus and was very happy. The last time I bought from a dealer I never bothered going to the classes, so I don't consider that when buying. Ultimately price matters more to me. I even bought a machine on amazon. I did order parts from another online place once and was really disappointed. What I did get took forever to get here and I never did get part of the order, although I did get somebody else's, so make sure if you buy online to check reviews first.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 AM

I bought my longarm from them - on lay-away even - and never had a problem at all.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:23 AM

I have bought two machines online, both were from Ken's Sewing in Alabama. The first time we drove from South Carolina over to his shop in northwest Alabama to pick it up and got to see his shop. He is one of the authorized Brother salesmen for online purchasing. I have also ordered other things from him.