Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Open pressed seams

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
    Confession: I've tried several times to press my seams open, and it always ends in burnt fingers and frustration. What am I doing wrong? I've watched people do it online before but my seams just don't ever seem to want to open.
    I start the seam by finger pressing it first or using something I have laying around to press it open and then just press the rest of the seam starting at that end.

Blog Entries
    I have a sleeve ham sitting in the drawer for years, never used it. I will try it when I press the seams open. what a great idea. Re utilization of tools!

Oh! I will definitely try this, thanks! I always try to finger press them apart before I press, but it doesn't always make things better.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    At the last AQS show in Grand Rapids a vendor was selling two size strips that actually looks like quarter round (you use for trim on walls, doors, floors etc) covered with very low loft batting and muslin. This lifts the seam just enough that the iron does not disturb the other sides and makes the finger pressing really easy before using the iron. This is now my new favorite tool!!!!!
    Also, using open seams eliminates the 'scant quarter inch issue'.

Oh! I will definitely try this, thanks! I always try to finger press them apart before I press, but it doesn't always make things better.

Appropriate topic since I recently started pressing seams open. It takes a little longer for me but worth the effort, especially when I am doing triangles.

Blog Entries
    I just signed up for the new craftsy class by Anita Grossman Soloman and she presses all her seams open. It makes a lot of sense to me because when I am making a large quilt, I always seem to lose track of which way the seams go and end up with two seams going the same way no matter how careful I think I am being. I will always press mine open from now on

I think the press to the side originated when all seams were sewn by hand. It definitely made the seams stronger. Now that almost everything is machine sewn, I don't think it makes that much difference.

I am a longarmer and all my customers press to one side. It makes no difference. The seams in the finished quilt are stronger pressed to one side. when pressed open, all that is between the two pieces of fabric is a line of stitching. Make sense?
    Michelle Guadarrama

I have found that it depends on the patttern. I was always taught to iron seams open. It threw me for a loop when I started quilting that you are sometimes told to press them to the side.

Blog Entries
    I have pressed some open and some to the side. The only time I would not press open is if the planned quilting is SID.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    That just doesn't work for me. I can't find any way to easily press open. it takes forever.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast