Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Open seams or pressed to one side >

Open seams or pressed to one side

Open seams or pressed to one side

Old 10-10-2016, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I always press open if at all possible. Have not had issues with batting popping through and find it makes for a flatter block all the way around. Particularly when lots of seams are meeting.
Same here.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:49 AM

Quiltingshorttimer,
i have seen the pinwheel technique on the internet but I have not tried it yet.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 AM

Thanks fellow quilters. I appreciate your answers.
I guess one of the reasons I have not tried the pinwheel thing in the center is that I was slightly afraid to undo those stitches (that are needed to rip out in the center) in case it would come undone at that spot. I think that must not be a problem because so many people do it. How many of you pinwheel your centers and have any of you had trouble with the center becoming unstitched? I need to try that technique.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:09 AM

I pinwheel not only 8 seams, but also on four patch assemblies.....if you just remove the two stitches before you reach the connecting seam, there is no undoing of any seams...same principal as joining pieces...new seam keeps old one from undoing.....
I also press seams to the side rather than open, not for beading, I think batt makers have pretty much corrected that, but just in case when machine quilting, sewing machine needle going thru a thread can split it and weaken the twist of the strands.....being that the seam stitches are so small, chances are greater than in garment sewing...jmho
Old 10-11-2016, 06:19 AM

I press to one side unless the pattern instructions specify pressing open. I find it very tedious to press open those tiny 1/4" seam allowances!!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 AM

I have pressed open, and pinwheeled. I like pinwheeling for places where 4 or more seams meet. I've never had a center come undone when pinwheeled; don't cut the threads when you open the seam allowance, and the thread tails are long enough to keep the stitches from pulling open unless your tension is way too loose.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:14 PM

I usually press open to reduce bulk. The idea of pressing to one side came about when hand piecing was used and it made the seam stronger. With machine stitching came out, the machine stitching is much stronger than hand stitching.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:35 AM

I press which ever way gives me less bulk. At my BOM class the instructor states to open the seams but I rarely do unless it gives me less bulk. I'm also doing a PP project and here you have to press to one side till you get to the point of putting the sections together, it states to press the seams open so I do here. I like using the swirling approach when I can like Ellen B. shows us.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:07 AM

I iron to the side but not always, you have to be the judge. In the case of 8 pieces meeting in the middle, you can actually bear down in the middle and actually spin the center and iron to make it less bulky. Good luck
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM

For me, it depends on the pattern.
I've done both, and find that in some cases, pressing open works best, in other cases, pressing to one side works best.

Just play with it and see how it works for you. There are no quilt police, and as long as you're using quality thread and fabrics, you should be good either way.