Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Open to suggestions for Quilting a Log Cabin

Open to suggestions for Quilting a Log Cabin

Hi,
    I have a log cabin quilt top that needs to be finished. I am not sure what would be better, an all over pantograph or in the ditch, or????? I am way open to suggestions, any and all welcome. PLEASE.
    When Life gives you scraps, grab a friend and QUILT!!!!
    Robin

I personally would do a nice pantograph if you have a design on the material, such as if there are cherries, do cherries all over. However, if not, I would do stippling all over. Stitch in the ditch will take a while but would look nice if you don't want to detract from the fabric. Hope that helps some...

Blog Entries
    I saw a log cabin that was quilted in circles. All different size circles all over the quilt. It was stunning. The quilted circles gave it a new design look. I think Baptist Fans or Clamshell pattern would be great too.
    Got fabric?

I have done SID on a log cabin (all the ditches - lots of stitches) and I think that looks really good. I've also done feathers in the light areas and swirls in the dark areas.

Blog Entries
    Many people love SID. With a quilt that has all rectangles like a Log Cabin, I would quilt a pattern that has lots of curves, like swirls/circles/feathers etc...
    Sadiemae

I made a log cabin quilt for one of my grandsons several years ago and I did a meander with oak leaves every few inches. The quilt was made with Civil War fabric and the oak leaves just seemed to fit.

I did a log cabin using Kansas Troubles fabrics. Since the fabric had flowers I used a pantograph with a foral theme. Turned out good.

I just recently quilted stars with some in the ditch in the larger areas in a log cabin. I like the idea of a a swirly pattern to offset the hard lines of the log cabin though. Mine is a graduation gift for a young man so I went with the stars. For me, often it depends on the recipient as to what the quilting design will be.

My vote goes for the pantograph.

I am thinking now of some flowery free motion, loopy loops with a flower here and there???? great idea's thank you for taking the time to give me some suggestions......
    When Life gives you scraps, grab a friend and QUILT!!!!
    Robin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast