Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion On Janome Gem? >

Opinion On Janome Gem?

Opinion On Janome Gem?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I hear so many say they have these, and I would love a little light weight machine. Probaly never find an affordable FW!
I have heard good things about Janome. Could you please tell me about your Gem? THANK YOU!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 AM

I have a Janome Gem Platinum and I love it. I use it for all my retreats and classes so I don't have to lug my expensive Elna out of the house. The Gem is very sturdy and sews like a dream. Because mine's a Platinum, it has a little more "electronic" functions like automatic needle up/down and a few decorative stitches. It's been from Texas to Indianapolis and back, and never gave me a moment of trouble.

Because I liked my Gem so much, I got both my daughters their own. I got them the Gem Gold as they don't sew much and don't need anything fancy. But I'm hoping that someday I can get them interested in quilting and the Janome Gem is a good machine to start with.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:16 AM

I have a Jem Platinum, which was the top of the line until the new one came out last month. I take the Jem to all my classes, but for weekend retreats, I lug my heavy Janome.

Maybe some day I will trade the Jem in for the new lightweight machine, but the Jem still works fine and I love it, so I'll keep it a while longer. Go on Janome's website to see both machines.

Since the new machine came out, some people are trading their Jem's in for it, so you may be able to get a 2nd hand Jem at a good price. The Platinum originally sold for $500. They're probably closer to $400 new now, so you can likely get a used one for just a few hundred dollars.

The only negative I have is that it doesn't like extremely thick stuff. I was trying to quilt pot holders using prequilted teflon-type stuff and it was too thick. Otherwise I can do anything on the machine.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I do want a small one to take places!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM

I used three Janome Gems in a Service Projects class I taught at my prior school. The students made baby and toddler quilts that were given away to pregnancy centers, nursing homes, the homeless, etc. The last year I conducted the class my three students made 200 quilts during that school year!!!! Those little machines really hold up well! You won't be disappointed!

My friend and neighbor next door to me works in her sister's quilt shop in Howell, Michigan, and she swears by Janome. It's the only brand of sewing machine they sell in the shop. She bought one of my little Gems for her granddaughter because she loves them so much!

I gave my mother one of the Gems, and I have the third one. I use it quite a bit. My mother especially loves hers because it is so lightweight, and it is so easy for her to carry around. She has problems with her wrists, and this little machine is perfect for her. I even take my Gem outside to the patio table to do some piecing when the weather is nice! Love it!!! I think you will, too! ;)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I love mine! I take it on the road all the time to pass the time when I am in a hotel room. I got the one that has the needle up/down setting. I cannot live with out that!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Gems are great, love mine.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 PM

I bought my Jem Platinum 760 at a quilt show for a fabulous price. Mostly to take to classes and a retreat I'm going to in October. But, I pulled it out for everyday piecing and I absolutely love it. Now I keep my Sapphire 850 set up for quilting and use the Jem exclusively for piecing. It's the best little workhorse of a machine I've sewn with yet. And, only 12 pounds. :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 PM

I have the Gem Gold and really like it. I use the edge cutting feature which was one of the reasons I bought it. My most-used machine in the Janome 6600, and I find the Gem noisy in comparison, especially when cutting. In my opinion, it's a good purchase because it's inexpensive, light and durable.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Google Goddess

wow, thanks

Originally Posted by pab58
I used three Janome Gems in a Service Projects class I taught at my prior school. The students made baby and toddler quilts that were given away to pregnancy centers, nursing homes, the homeless, etc. The last year I conducted the class my three students made 200 quilts during that school year!!!! Those little machines really hold up well! You won't be disappointed!

My friend and neighbor next door to me works in her sister's quilt shop in Howell, Michigan, and she swears by Janome. It's the only brand of sewing machine they sell in the shop. She bought one of my little Gems for her granddaughter because she loves them so much!

I gave my mother one of the Gems, and I have the third one. I use it quite a bit. My mother especially loves hers because it is so lightweight, and it is so easy for her to carry around. She has problems with her wrists, and this little machine is perfect for her. I even take my Gem outside to the patio table to do some piecing when the weather is nice! Love it!!! I think you will, too! ;)