Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion Please >

Opinion Please

Opinion Please

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM

They are super adorable & I would totally buy some for hostess gifts, but not for more than $10 each.
Since they are just a seasonal item, maybe it would be okay to go for a little bit cheaper fabric. Those little holiday prints on their bellies are adorable, but a quality solid (or cheaper print) could be just as cute.
Also, maybe you could consider offering some kind of a deal for people who want to buy all 3 (I would!). So, so cute. Good luck with the craft show.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 PM

they're adorable (esp the snowman!) but I wouldn't pay that much for them - not sure I'd pay that much for anything at a craft show. I went to one at my cousin's church out in the country and the most expensive item was maybe $5 and that was a microwave potato bag..I paid $1 or $2 for knit/crochet dishcloths/potholders..even the baked goods were bargains. In contrast a local church had one and a friend had a table with one of her crafty friends and their table I think was the cheapest. I bought from another booth - she had those rice bags you heat in the microwave or freeze - she was selling for $10 each which I thought was pricey but she was using quilt shop fabric and furnishing printed instructions and a nice bag for carrying them and was very friendly to everyone. my friend's stuff was a bit pricey I thought for what it was - nice quilt shop fabric pears and stuff like that but I tell you she had a repeat customer buy 3 while I was standing there and the booth next to her was selling fancy dipped apples with nuts and chocolate and all kindso f stuff - I think the cheapest was around $15 and most were a lot higher.

so I guess it depends on where you're located - those apples were selling. the baked goods there were good but much higher than the country church out of town. at this bazaar yours would sell as a bargain...at the other no one would touch them no matter how beautiful and better made they are. the cheap bazaar,well, the stuff looked cheap except for the potato bag...the other had really nice quality stuff
Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 PM

My first response was - those are so cute I would pay $15.00 for that. Then thought that would be $45.00 for all three and even $30.00 for two does seem high. But they are adorable.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

Cute but not for $15 each
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM

I agree, they are adorable, but would probably sell better as ornaments............or front door decorations. I spill on my potholders or scorch them. At least spending $15 on an ornament or decoration that could be used for years, makes more sense to me.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 AM

" These are from Susie C Shore Designs called Christmas Trio of Potholders" This sentence leads me to mention something I've not seen in any of the other posts. If this is a commercial pattern, you need to make sure you have permission, either from the pattern itself or from the designer, to sell the product. It's OK to give as gifts but there are usually limits, sometimes zero for the number of products you may sell without written permission from the designer. Often the pattern will say "for personal use only". Will there be someone at the craft show policing the items for sale? Probably not. However, since you are questioning the economics of trying to sell them anyway (they are adorable and your workmanship is beautiful), maybe the above will help you make a decision. Whatever you decide, I wish you well with your efforts. Joyce in Delaware
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Five or so years ago things above $5 sold well at craft shows. I sold many $90 sweatshirt jackets. Nowadays, nothing above $5 sells around here. I don't know your marketplace, but I don't think people will pay that much for the pot holders.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes View Post
" These are from Susie C Shore Designs called Christmas Trio of Potholders" This sentence leads me to mention something I've not seen in any of the other posts. If this is a commercial pattern, you need to make sure you have permission, either from the pattern itself or from the designer, to sell the product. It's OK to give as gifts but there are usually limits, sometimes zero for the number of products you may sell without written permission from the designer. Often the pattern will say "for personal use only". Will there be someone at the craft show policing the items for sale? Probably not. However, since you are questioning the economics of trying to sell them anyway (they are adorable and your workmanship is beautiful), maybe the above will help you make a decision. Whatever you decide, I wish you well with your efforts. Joyce in Delaware
http://www.susiecshore.com/cart/inde...ht_information

she allows up to 25 of each for craft shows. I googled it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Default Craft Show

Honestly, your pricing is too high. I might pay $7 to $10 for your potholder.

I am making ornaments for a craft show in October. What I've done is take a couple with me everywhere I go. I asked friends, as well as strangers, for an honest opinion of a price point. Actually, what they've told me is in the ballpark of what I thought I'd charge.

It is a difficult business.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Looking at the potholders I really question how you are figuring your expenses and time in you over all equation for the price to charge.