Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinion on sewing building >

Opinion on sewing building

Opinion on sewing building

Old 07-27-2011, 03:06 AM

Okay need some advice on the pros and cons of an outdoor building or shed for a sewing room. We have a fairly small house already filled with all the crafts I do so I need more room if I want to sew. Hubby thinks a "garden/cabin" style shed would make a great sewing room in the back yard. I could have heat or air when I needed but it wouldn't be heated when I wasn't out there at all. We live in NC so we have cold months and hot months. What are the risks to the fabric being in a building not heated or cooled?
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:09 AM

I'm thinking humidity will be the major issue. Changing temps will cause condensation. Plus, will it be critter proof?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 AM

Could you insulate the cabin shed???? I live in the same kind of weather and though I'd love the extra room, I don't know how my fabric would survive.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 AM

I don't think it's a good idea unless you're going to build it just as if it was another part of the house- fully up to code, insulated, etc. In which case you might as well just build another room onto the house!

Here's a good link on storing quilts and fabric in general.

http://www.getcreativeshow.com/semin...ing_quilts.htm
Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 AM

A good rule of thumb is to store your fabric the way you would store food (canned and boxed goods). They have to be stored in a place with even temperatures, otherwise the food will spoil and lose its nutritional value much more quickly. Fabric is the same way (minus the nutritional value!) :mrgreen:
Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 AM

It sounds like a great solution. A place all to yourself.... but I encourage you to throughly research. I agree with all the earlier comments about consistent temp and insulation. Don't let that discourage you. It just may work....and could be totally adorable, comfy place for you.

I recall another board member that has done this very same thing. There are pics of her building and the wip. I will try to find the link.

*** Here is the link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-103882-1.htm

You may reach out to her and glean from her wisdom!!

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 AM

Should you do that I would definitely use Damp X or Damp Rid. It's a container you open and set out, it removes all the excess moisture from the air. We use it in our cabin when it's closed up for months at a time. We are always amazed at how much water is in the container. We used to have mold issues but not anymore. It works wonders.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

I store my fabric and machines in my main living space. I figure if it's confortable for me, my stash and machines are safe. I would worry about the temperature changes for both my fabric and especially my machine. They say not to subject your machine to cold because it seizes up the lubricants. I would worry about mildew on my fabrics.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 AM

My sewing room is a separate building from my house and I have a window air conditioner and I use an oil filled heater that you can find at Wal-Mart or Lowes. I only turn my air or heat on when I am plan on being in my sewing room, Honestly I have had this setup for years (probably 10 years)and no problem with my machines or fabric, I'm in Kentucky and we have some cold winters and a lot of humidity in the summer.
the condensation is never been a problem, Like in the winter I will turn my heater on a couple of hours before I aim to sew and everything in the room heats up together now If I took a cold machine into a warm room then you have condensation.
I have a Juki and several Brother machine and I have pretty good stash of fabric and absolutely no problem. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
A good rule of thumb is to store your fabric the way you would store food (canned and boxed goods). They have to be stored in a place with even temperatures, otherwise the food will spoil and lose its nutritional value much more quickly. Fabric is the same way (minus the nutritional value!) :mrgreen:
What do you mean "minus the nutritional value" It's full of fiber! :D :-D

And by the way, love your signature :-).