Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions! baby lock vs janome! help! >

opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Default opinions! baby lock vs janome! help!

hi! my little janome is really starting to sound like a thrashing machine! i just don't have the money or the credit to get what i really WANT ( sound familiar? hehe) so i have to think of options that will help me endeavor what i want to pursue. i am thinking of getting a janome 1600P with a gracie frame for learning how to quilt on. however, i need a piecing machine. i am researching baby lock, like the grace or audrey, and also the janome like the dc2014 or 3160qdc, and i need opinions. since this reaches such a wide variety of audiences and i will get a more honest opinion from you rather than a dealer any comments you can give me would be SO much appreciated! thank you much!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Love, love, love my Janome 6600 (about $1500). I also have a Janome Jem Platinum which is a great little machine for about $500.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM

I hated the babylock machine and serger I had in the past so for me, that would be an easy choice. I know a lot of people love babylock though. I have the Janome 6600P and I love it. I also have an older Janome mc3500 and I still love it too. It's just not great for quilting a big quilt.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM

I used a 3160 Janome that provided for a class. Loved the machine!! It certainly is just a piecing machine because it has a small throat. This machine just purred and has a small table that is included. It's also very light 14 lbs so it's great for classes. I have a lightweight Brother for classes now, but next year I'm taking a cruise and I can buy the 3160 machine after at a discount because it is the machine that is used as a loner for the cruise. My little Brother is great but I"m sure it will be worn out by next year as it was only a $200 machine. I don't think you will be disappointed in the 3160.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

If it's sounding like a threshing machine ....... it might be as simple as taking it in for a good servicing with your dealer!

While I have not used a 1600, my understanding is that it is a true work horse and wonderful for FMQing. It just does the basic forward/backward stitches and not fancy work. Not sure how large the throat is??

I loved my Janome 6600 ..... and it is what got me hooked on FMQing. However, I found it limiting, as I was moving on to bigger pieces and did not enjoy the challenge of stuffing it thru the throat.

So no matter what make/model you consider, if FMQing is in your future seriously consider the throat size as a big part of your decision.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:23 AM

when did you have your machine serviced last? First things first if money is tight, take care of what you do have
Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 PM

I have had a baby lock Audrey for three years and love it for piecing and great to take places as it is so small. Have quilted baby and twin quilts on it, anything bigger would be a chore however.. Has held up great no service issues at all.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanks ladies. I have it serviced at least once a year. Like I said, I have to start saving a bit here and there and by the time I have the money saved I will be well versed in my options. You are all so great!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Janome gets my vote too. Have you thought about a gently used machine to piece with?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM

I saved for nearly three years for my first good machine. Any 5.00 bill that came into my possession went in the box in my sock drawer I thought I'd never make it (about 2K) but I amused myself, and kept the incentive to keep saving by going to a big machine store every 3-4 months and sewing on various models. ...if you do this take your own fabric and sew how YOU sew, not with their stiff stuff that any machine will make good stitches on. By the time you are ready to OWN your machine, you will know just which one fits your needs.

Best wishes!!