Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions needed about Accuquilt, please? >

Opinions needed about Accuquilt, please?

Opinions needed about Accuquilt, please?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:44 PM

Hi my dear friends,
I am a school administrator, with 12 hour work days being the norm. I spend what seems to be lots of time cutting, and it seems to take me forever.
I saw the Accuquilt cutting machine and hmmmmmmmm......have any of you used it? On my first thought, it may save me loads of time while creating consistency with my cutting-and I can devote more time creating!
What do you think??
Old 03-11-2011, 01:48 PM

IMHO...It works for some. There are some good applique shapes. I have started to hear those who have purchased it have ended up letting it sit.

IMHO...I would save the money for fabric. I would concentrate on learning to solve your cutting issues.

Are your rotary blades sharp? Are you cutting straight? How many layers? ...and many more questions.
Have you asked someone to watch you cut fabric and give you tips and recommendations to improve?

I'll be watching this thread to hear what others have to say.

Pam M
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I had mine for three years, I use it for 90% of my quilt pieces. Most all pieced patterns call for the same cuts, squares, triangles, and strips. There are many fabric die cut machines on the market now. I would start with the Go Baby, the dies for it will work in the Go if you decide you want a bigger machine later.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 PM

I own one and don't find myself doing enough patterns that work with the dies for it to be worth it. I prefer using my rotary cutter. There are a few dies I like for it, like the rag dies, tumbler dies, etc. But mostly, I prefer to just cut with a rotary cutter.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 PM

You might want to try the June Tailor Shape Cutter. I recently got one and it seems to speed things up considerably and my cuts are more accurate.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

I haven't found many quilt patterns that use anything other then 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3, 3 1/2, 4, 5, or 6 inch squares, or 1 1/2", 2 1/2, 3 1/2, strips, or finished triangle sizes 2, 3, or 4. I have the chisel die, the rectangle dies, the strip dies, all the triangle and square dies. I save money and fabric by not having miscuts. I use to have a scrap basket full of miscuts from using my rotary cutter. Now I have a basket of 1/4" strips from the die cut waste. I made the Go my cutting system and don't rely on my rotary cutter. My hands don't ache!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

Hi....I have the Studio and it is great....
If you go to www.accuquilt.com

at the top hit the blue Accuquilt on the top left....Look for the daily deal today...(Fri...) ON SALE
Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 PM

We had a demo at guild, and the waste drove me nuts just watching them......it would NOT do for me with all that fabric wasted, esp. with fabric prices now!
The guild thought about buying, but most members are like me----there was too much waste! Guess it depends on your values.....
Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM

I love the studio and the Go...very, very little waste...you just need to cut the fabric first into strips. I also use the tumbler and for all the pieces left I put it on the small tumbler die...no waste here.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM

I have had the Go and hardly ever use it. I have shoulder problems and it hurts to turn the handle even with just 4 layers of fabric. There have been lots of previous discussions about the Go, the Studio and now the Go Baby. You can do a search on here and find them. Good Luck!