Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on newer fabric designs >

Opinions on newer fabric designs

Opinions on newer fabric designs

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Let's face it, Quilters. We who have been quilting for years are familiar and comfortable with "our" fabrics. At our “age” we generally aren't as easily attracted to "new stuff".

Neither were the quilters of the sixties, seventies, and very early eighties when the "new prints" that weren't calicoes began to come into the market place. But those designs prevailed, and great, interesting, award winning patterns and quilts began to draw in more and more quilters (probably many of you who are reading this post.)

Now we are going through yet another "resurgence" in the industry....and I'd venture that, after nearly 30 years it's about time. Especially if it draws in a whole new generation of quilters. We were the ones who carried it forward beyond our mothers/grandmothers; now the new ones will do that for us.

Just like long skirts, or platform heels, or short jackets instead of blazers, or SUVs over station wagons, we eventually adapt and accept, and our "eye" gets used to seeing the "new stuff". Choosing to jump in and use it alot may come hard when we are "used to" making certain kinds of quilts, agreed. I haven't done it yet. I know many of you haven't either. But like the old expression, "I'm married, I ain't blind!" for men, I'm a senior but I ain't "OLD"!

I want to try new things, new technology, new experiences, even new fabric designs. And maybe it’s time to learn FROM the “youngers” rather than just teaching them. I think some of this “new stuff” looks neat, clean, fresh……even if it is easier, quicker to sew. The young ones of today need that ease in their lives. Adapting to life as it evolves is what has made quilters the unique, stalwart individuals they are.

Jan in VA
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

I rarely buy collections and seldom worry about what goes with what.
I put together fabrics that appeal to me whether they "go together" or not.
Large prints are perfect for quilts like "I Just Can't Cut It."
Stripes cut on the bias are perfect for bindings.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Jan in VA said it best! I agree that we can adapt and need to learn and try new things. I like some of the fabric that is new. I don't like the fabric that looks like it would go on a bedspread in a motel. Kaffee Fassett (sp) is one designer that I would never buy a piece of his fabric. Way too busy and IMO looks lousy. A few more designers are following his pursuit and I won't be buying from them. But other than that, I have embraced the new fabric and I like it. I just ordered a fat quarter bundle and can't wait! And I'm taking classes and have book on "Modern Quilting". I like the empty spaces on a quilt. I should say I love the empty spaces left on a Modern Quilt. Hope it's okay I said the designer's name. It's just my own opinion and I've been wrong many times in my life.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 AM

I like some of the new fabric and I'm really drawn to the so called modern look quilts using more solid space and less printed fabric.There's one hanging in my LQS now that I find stunning. What concerns me is so much solid space in one color to FMQ. But soon I'm going to try it.
margaret
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 AM

It's about 50/50 for me. I've seen some of the new and really like it, and some I wouldn't (excuse the expression, "take to a rat fight")
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM

i wanted to read this because i bought some really beautiful william morris fabrics from rose and hubble about 12 years ago. i've always had them in mind, but have done a number of projects in between. those fabrics are very beautiful, and now i have completed a sufficient number of quilts that i feel i could do something really special with those ones.

so i've been looking for morris prints, and i am so disappointed by what i see. not only are the british studios non-existent or well (WELL) beyond a reasonable price range for me right now, the moda/ barabara brackman designs maintain the design aesthetic but are printed with fewer colours. her newest morris apprentice line is practically monochromatic.

as for all the modern fabrics...well. i don't buy precuts and i don't buy whole lines (ever). i think there's a lot of "cute" going on, but i am not at all convinced that the colour stories are going to age well at all. that teal and red/pink combo is lovely...for now.

i remember avocado appliances. and i know how i feel when i see burnt umber wallpaper. i feel like a lot of the hot colour stories right now are going to age just like that.

i am working with older ssi fabrics right now, and i still really adore the colours. but then...they are rich primaries for the most part. hard to think they'll ever really be dated, though i know they will. ah time...

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 11-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM

I don't mind learning about new technology, I resent the fact that you can't find the colors you want since they aren't in "fashion." I'm addicted to Southwestern colors - remind me of sitting in Arches NP under a clear blue sky with Entrada Sandstone adding the red coloring. Makes me feel good. Whatever someone else wants to do is fine with me. I can't and won't argue with personal taste.

I also don't care for all those little "fashion" type necessities like table runners. I don't have a table so what would I do with one? A lot of the classes are just that - stuff I would never use and don't want. Mug rugs? Piece of lucite I can toss in the dishwasher. A lot of magazines are full of "fluff"

No one in town has offered any classes on a tablet carrier. Or phone holder. I've found the patterns online and worked them out myself. I made a set for my daughter. I Nook cover, a bag for her Acer tablet, and a cell phone carrier that had a zippered compartment to hold some change. All matching.

This forum is very useful to find esoteric information. I like QAYG. I see more are getting into it. So hints, tips and techniques are fabulous.

I learned to sew just to avoid fashionistas.

Someone mentioned a spring needle. I used to use one to do cutwork before embroidery machines.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Buy what you like. Not every fabric line in LQS are large and bold. My style is to use what I like and I can't afford to buy a complete line of any fabric but I can choose one fabric in a line that I love and build a quilt around that fabric.

I feel sad for those of us who have a hard time choosing fabric. Some of the fun is deminished when fear overrides our instinct of what we like.

Hope everyone finds what they like, eventually!
peace
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM

I don't care for the newer fabric either. I have a lot and I like it all so I make from what I have.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM

I've read through this thread with a lot of interest. I am a new quilter at the age of 59 - was never interested before because I do not have a traditional aesthetic. Stumbling over the modern quilts has opened a whole new interest for me. I think some of the new collections are beautiful, but it goes against my nature to do anything that way - as putting together my own colors and patterns is a big part of the fun for me. I still see lots and lots of traditional fabrics, at least in my neck of the woods - St. Louis, that I pass right over unless there is something about a specific color that might attract me. I love orange, always the first color my eye goes to. Deep pastels, brights - all speak to me, as do neutrals. To add to another point regarding classes and magazines having nothing interesting - that happens with anything. As a new knitter I could not get enough of all that stuff. Now, I never buy a magazine - rarely want to go to a class. At some point, there is no more new, just a fresh take, or rehash, on stuff that has been around. I still have a strong interest in knitting, just don't need to spend money on books and mags anymore