Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions on newer fabric designs >

Opinions on newer fabric designs

Opinions on newer fabric designs

Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Banned

Default Opinions on newer fabric designs

What do you think of the new fabric designs. One series from one designer is all directional stripes. How are yu using the larger prints. Many don't appear to be coordinated designs (large medium, small, backgrounds) that we are accustomed to using.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

i tend not to buy coordinated fabrics... i just pick and choose what is pleasing to me. this is one reason that i don't buy bundled fabric.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 AM

I am having a hard time with the new fabrics, the colors don't seem "true", but that will help keep me on the fabric moratorium.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I think the new fabric lines are designed to make you buy the whole collection because that don't go with anything ELSE. That is just my opinion of course. Do I like them? I do like some of them but to buy a whole collection of enough fabric to make a quilt is beyond what I am comfortable spending on a quilt top.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I only buy what I like and I have lots of that. I have no need to buy any more fabrics for quiet a while. If people don't like and don't buy it, it will go away.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 AM

What I dont like is how they make quilts that are so busy that you cant see the design. No background fabric just prints and they all blend in togather. Ive seen this in several quilt mags.
I like small prints and dislike orange fabric. Dont care much for very bright prints except for childrens quilts.
Fall colors are my favorites.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 AM

I am not a fan of the newer collections you speak of.. I typically like to work with smaller pieces for my quilts. It seems they are designing for large blocks for quickly done quilts, so you will finish and be back buying more fabric sooner.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 AM

The larger designs have their uses, I suppose, for stack and whack type quilts, fussy cutting, etc. But there aren't a lot of fabrics out there that grab me anymore, either.....
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM

I don't like most of the collections, I like to find a fabric I like then find the matching fabrics I choose to go with it. I have not found to many new fabrics I like for quilts lately but some will make some cute bags.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM

I agree with Rose Marie about the bright busy prints all in one quilt. Gives me a headache to look at those. But I do love the modern quilt movement and have embraced the new collections wholeheartedly. Even those bright busy prints can look fabulous with judicious use and plenty of solids!