Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions On this on thread????

I was watching a fmq video on u-tube and she suggested using sewers aid on the thread to make it sew better, wondering would this gunk up the machine???????? Have a new Singer XL- 400, does a really good job with the embroidery, am getting ready to do some fmq on the same quilt.

???? what is sewer aid?

Isn't that a silicone you put on your thread spool to make it run threw the needle eye smoother?

Blog Entries
    I have an embroidery machine and I'm read on some of my embr groups not to use this, that it will gunk up your machine. I elect to err on the side of caution!!

I just use thread that my Brothers like and use a large eye needle so it doesn't break as much!

I've used sewer's aid on my needle when using metallic thread OR sticky back stabilizer while embroidering. It helps it slide through the fabric easier. I don't think I would use it anywhere near my machine's parts though.

i've been using sewers aid on my threads (domestic and long arm machines) for 6 or 7 years now- it is totally safe for your machine- cuts down dramatically on lint build up- and really makes a difference with breakage problems- my sewing room would be neglected without having a couple bottles close at hand.
    it was first recommended to me at a lqs- teaching machine quilting classes- they really sold us on it- and i've kept it in supply every since- it really helps with cotton threads that tend to break easily quilting-
    but i use it on any thread that tangling may be a problem. or lint- or what ever

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i've been using sewers aid on my threads (domestic and long arm machines) for 6 or 7 years now- it is totally safe for your machine- cuts down dramatically on lint build up- and really makes a difference with breakage problems- my sewing room would be neglected without having a couple bottles close at hand.
    it was first recommended to me at a lqs- teaching machine quilting classes- they really sold us on it- and i've kept it in supply every since- it really helps with cotton threads that tend to break easily quilting-
    but i use it on any thread that tangling may be a problem. or lint- or what ever
    thanks for letting us know that long time use is safe.

I guess I'll try some

I wouldn't be without a bottle for quilting with cotton thread. I've also been using it for 5 years and if anything, it makes the machine run better--no gunk at all. Cotton thread soaks up the silicone and just flows through the machine. It's like conditioner for very dry hair!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use it on my embroidery machine, but do use it on my long arm with cotton thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast