Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinons on Arrow Sewing tables >

Opinons on Arrow Sewing tables

Opinons on Arrow Sewing tables

Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Opinons on Arrow Sewing tables

I am going to get the Janome 6600 from our local dealer. I would love to get a cabinet for it. They sell the Arrow brand of sewing cabinets. The one I like is called the Marilyn and it sells for $665. That is quite a lot of money for me to feel comfortable about putting into a cabinet.

It does have the mechanical air lift and closes into a small cabinet. Are they really worth the money? I want something that will protect my new machine and provide years of service, hopefully worry free, if I pay that much for it.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

I found this review on Overstock:
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...r-reviews.html
and these reviews on Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arrow-Mari...roduct+Reviews
and more reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Cabinet-...owViewpoints=1

I think it depends on your wants and needs. Sewing machine cabinets with a lift tend to be quite expensive. This is on the more conservative side of $$$. However, many quilters get by with homemade versions -- converted desks, converted tables, etc. It would be hard to make a complete enclosed cabinet like the Marilyn, so it also depends on if you need the cabinet to be able to be folded up so that no one knows it is a sewing machine. In terms of protecting the sewing machine, I really do not think that is a major factor when considering a cabinet.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM

I have an arrow gidget 2 and I love mine very sturdy, no vibration while sewing.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM

I have an Arrow Sewnatra and have had no problems at all with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Be sure to measure the opening for the sewing machine. I had an Arrow cabinet (don't know which one) when I bought my 6600. Had to get another cabinet because the opening was too short for the machine. Since the 6600 has the longer throat, it needs a longer opening. My Arrow cabinet was wonderful though, really liked it with the smaller Janome I had.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:43 PM

I had my 6600 in a garage sale kitchen table. My husband cut the hole using the plexiglass table as a guide, and then he built an adjustable shelf. It's 30"x54". When I quilt I set up a folding table from Staples right behind it. The machine is always "out" (cannot be hidden), but I have a dedicated sewing room, so it suits me. The table was $25 and the legs we bought were $20. When I got my 7700 he just made the hole larger.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 PM

Make sure the dealer knows you have a janome 6600. it's very heavy machine. FYI janome makes a very nice, sturdy table that holds the machine perfectly. it might cost more but it's much sturdier than the ones they sell at joann's. also, make sure you actually sit at the cabinet you're considering. your body should be centered in front of the needle, not just the whole sewing machine. this is especially important if you're trying to put a big machine in a smaller cabinet. the machine might fit, but that doesn't mean you'll be comfy working at it for long periods of time. good luck
Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I agree about making sure that your body is centered on the needle! Many cabinets (such as mine) have you centered on the machine, and it is not nearly as ergonomically comfortable.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM

I am so very hesitant to spend that much money on a table. I don't have a dedicated sewing room yet. I use my small Janome at the kitchen table. I know these cabinets are not made from real wood, just pressed wood. Do they hold up to frequent use? And does the air lift have many problems?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM

I have several Arrow cabinets, including one that my 6600 sat in (and now my 8900), and I use my machine every day. I couldn't be happier with my cabinets. Although I do have a dedicated sewing room, I am frequently moving them around, opening/closing them, etc., and they have held up for several years now with no sign of quitting. I'm a very happy customer!