Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oppps!! >

Oppps!!

Oppps!!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:30 AM

Well, for Christmas my husband bought me a wide ironing board. I'd been begging for it forever. Well, stupid me, I was making an ATC and had used embossing powder on it, when I went to iron something on the back and now have gold embossing power on the cover. Okay, so I get over being mad at myself and last night was playing with the fabric crayons. I did find that they looked nicer if you color on the fabric and then heat set. But, stupid me, didn't put paper UNDER the fabric. So now my big fat ironing board cover has embossing power and "Happy Anniversary" written on it.
I'm thinking I'll try the Mr. Clean magic eraser on it...can't hurt at this point.
So, that is what I learned. But so far my husband hasn't seen what I did. He complained how expensive the whole thing was to begin with, but once he saw it next to my ancient WalMart ironing board he understood why I wanted it so bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:41 AM

Well, I am sorry for you "Oops" but we do learn by our mistakes and sometimes it has to be the hard way! Hope it comes out for you.... I would love a bigger ironing surface but then I would have to have a bigger room, a bigger house, etc etc.! LOL
Old 04-18-2007, 10:14 AM

Some products can be removed if you use the dryer sheets and press over them....I know it cleans the iron as well. You may also try baby wipes...those things are pretty hardy!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:21 PM

I've had no luck getting the crayons or embossing powder out.
You might just want to make another cover for it - and then tell hubby that such a great ironing board needed a really special cover. You could turn the current cover upside down as the padding for it.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM

That sounds like something I would do. I hope you can find a way to get that stuff out.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:49 PM

I hope you get everything out, but if you don't and Hubby sees it just say "I told you I realy needed it and would use it alot"
Old 04-19-2007, 05:42 AM

Well, I did confess about the crayon last night to him. He just rolled his eyes. The magic eraser did work on the crayon. Took a bit of time, I think I can still see some of the writing, but maybe over time I'll just "forget" where I did that at. The embossing powder is still there, didn't budge it. I grabbed a used dryer sheet (was I suppose to use a new dryer sheet?) and ran the iron over that on the board, the iron is nice and clean but the embossing powder is still there. I think at this point it's there for good, at least it's not coming up on other fabrics.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 AM

It was supposed to be new. But as the intent of embossing is to have it stay from the heat setting.....ICE? and a straight edge? does it come off in the dryer like some t-shirt applications? Good try though. If that is the worse thing that happens it's fine! It is meant to be used anyway.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Well, live and learn. But ice?? Hadn't thought about that. As soon as I'd seen what I'd done when that embossing powder was on there, I thougt what an idiot....of course that iron heat would just set it more!! But NEW dryer sheets...I will remember that!!