Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orange thin chalk removal >

Orange thin chalk removal

Orange thin chalk removal

Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Does anyone have a solution for removing this ? This one was a "chalk-lead" in a Clover plastic pencil type marker holder. It comes with a container of half white chalk and half different colors. My daughter brought a quilt over for the 4th that she was finishing and she used the orange to mark the border design for quilting as she was going to use orange thread to quilt with. In a few places it is quite obvious and we tried brushing it off with a soft tooth-brush and rubbing with a fabric eraser, but several spots were very stubborn and she wet the toothbrush slightly. Well, it looked better until it dried and now it is a orange-tinged mess. She did not want to wash this quilt before presenting it but can't as it it. Anyone have a solution to get this stuborn orange off?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Does she have scraps of the fabrics? I would mark them with the orange chalk, then try various methods of getting rid of the marks.

The problem you have is with the dye in the chalk. When dried, the area became an orange tint because the dye dispersed in the fabric. You need something that will actually remove the dye.

What I would try is using a soft toothbrush to rub in a mixture of Synthrapol and water, followed by thorough rinsing. Synthrapol is supposed to be used in hot water, so this may not work. I'd try it, though, because Synthrapol is designed to suspend unset dye particles in water to be rinsed away and that is exactly what you need here.

If the quilt does end up needing to be washed, I would definitely wash it in Synthrapol.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks for a prompt answer. Where can one purchase Synthrapol?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I think I know which kind of chalk pencil you are talking about and I have one. I made a fall quilt with loads of different colors and I used almost every color of chalk lead when I marked the quilt so I could see my marks on all the different colors. I am a prewasher so I just loaded the quilt in the washer when done with NO SOAP. Set it on cold and ran the washer. I carefully inspected the quilt when it came out, before putting it in the dryer. There were no marks left at all.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 PM

I know the chalk set you are talking about. I used the yellow once and couldn't even get out EVEN after washing. I treated it and washed it again and it was faintly still there. I threw the whole set out. To me it seemed like there was a wax base. :thumbdown:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Synthrapol is widely available in quilt shops, especially those catering to dyers. It's also available online from Amazon, Dharma Trading, Pro Chem, and other places.