Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know >

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

Ordering a bolt of Hobbs 80/20,... need to know

Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I think my batting is Hobbs 80/20 or its Quilter's Dream 80/20, similar to W&N batting if that helps. Its 43" in diameter at this writing and I don't think I've cut any if much off it yet. I have mine suspended on the ceiling over my cutting table so I can just roll it out over the table and cut it from there. As my sewing room is in the basement my ceilings are not tall, only 7'4" to the top. I bought some long hooks with an eye installing it into a 2 x 4 and then into the ceiling as I didn't want the long screw to go up thru my floor joists. I purchased a 1.5" thick dowel 64" long, added eye hooks to each end with a removeable clip gadget so I can release it when I needed to y it. Even with 1.5" dowel the weigh still bowed the dowel a bit.

Here are some photos to show you what I did................
hey snooze2978, are you sure it's 43" in diameter? It doesn't look like it's half the height of your basement.... I'm guessing that's a typo.

what you did is exactly what I was thinking, but I have a drop ceiling, and the same height measurement that you do. Your post prompted me to measure and find out that it wouldn't work here.

Since most people seemed to be gently guiding me to a different solution, I did some rearranging today and managed to find some wall space. I went and grabbed the brackets that Neesie has (only I couldn't find her stainless ones in small town Alberta), used the curtain rod i'd originally thought to attach to my frame for a batting bar and am officially ready for my batting to arrive.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 11-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:15 PM

Thought I'd follow up on this. My batting arrived today, and works perfectly where I put it. I think it would have "loomed" over me at the cutting table. Thanks to everyone who gently steered me away from putting it over my table.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]499348[/ATTACH]

The 1/3rd of a roll of the cotton/wool 80/20 fit in the cupboard beside it too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499349[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 12:30 PM

love all the ideas ladies, thank you
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

My sister and I went in on a roll of Warm and Natural. She got the box last time, so I got it this time. I just keep it directly under the sewing table. It even helps keep the pedal for the machine from sliding forward.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 AM

I can't help either. I keep mine on the bar under the long arm table.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
My sister and I went in on a roll of Warm and Natural. She got the box last time, so I got it this time. I just keep it directly under the sewing table. It even helps keep the pedal for the machine from sliding forward.
LOL! That's great! I hadn't thought of it as a bumper stop. The way my table is set up, it wouldn't work, but I love that you managed to make it do double duty.

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch View Post
I can't help either. I keep mine on the bar under the long arm table.
That was what I'd initially wanted to do but our furry animals get into the room from time to time and I didn't want cat and dog fur on it. In fact, the grey curtain rod I used to hang it was meant to be under the frame. Now I just have lots of drawer sets under there.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 PM

My studio has a full bath so I store all my batting in the shower (which is never used)