Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organic Fabrics - Opinions Please >

Organic Fabrics - Opinions Please

Organic Fabrics - Opinions Please

Old 04-09-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Organic Fabrics - Opinions Please

Yes, it's more expensive, but at the end of the day if that's what customers want to spend their money on, who I am to judge?

So for those few of you who use/have used GOTS or Oeko-Tex Category 1 fabrics with low-impact dyes, do you have any favorite brands? Is there anything I should take into consideration when choosing organic cotton fabrics or ones with low-impact dyes? I do know they fade faster; I wonder how much faster (properly cared for, will an intense purple fade to a light lavender in 3 washes, 3 years or 13 years?).

I'm not 100% committed to the switch yet. I use Kona currently, which is an Oeko-Tex Category 2 fabric (safe for children 3+). But it's pretty pointless to advertise that since I only make baby quilts. I do like fun bright colors so that's a must. So far I've been looking mostly at Birch & Cloud9 fabrics. I see that AQS has 16 solid colored GOTS fabrics but it doesn't even say where they're made and I can't tell if there is a brand attached to them or if they are milled specifically for the AQS store.

I'd truly appreciate any experience you call can share. I love the idea of organic, low-impact fabrics but only if they're durable, bright & relatively colorfast. Thanks in advance for any tips you all can share!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 PM

I use organics much of the time. I'd like to buy them all of the time, but the prices are a bit higher and the print selections are limited. I love the quality and hand of the fabrics that I do buy, though. All of the organic fabrics that I've used in my projects have held up very well. They've kept their colors and are still, so soft and lovely. They're especially nice for baby items, but I've even used them for some of my grown daughter's tops and blouses.

I've purchased most of my organic quilting fabrics from Honey Be Good and have used Cloud9, Mona Luna and Robert Kaufman (organic Kona solids) brands. HBG has a page that tells you about the fabrics that they carry and what the different standards and certifications mean for their products. To help keep the costs down, HBG has sales from time to time and discounts on total orders, as well as shipping. I believe that Connecting Threads might also carrying organics now, or at least they did at one time. I haven't checked lately.

I hope I've helped.

~ Cindy