Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
organizing fabric color order or type? >

organizing fabric color order or type?

organizing fabric color order or type?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM

I usually buy in collections so I sort that way. Everything else is a free for all. lol
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM

I store fabric by project or potential project.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM

Everyone has their own method, so you might try different ones and see which one works for you. Personally, I ruler fold and put in the respective drawers according to background color. The fabric is folded and placed in the drawers, edge side up, this way, I can see exactly what's in the drawers without pawing through and making a mess of it. It works for me. Flannels are totally separate in large plastic totes, since I don't work with them a lot, also my Christmas fabrics are in their own separate drawers.

Last edited by pocoellie; 02-27-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM

Mostly I sort by color, but some groups are not color - Christmas, cats, music, and I'm starting to separate out batiks.
I have some pulled out right now that are suitable for children. Mine is stored in colorless plastic bins.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cookie5 View Post
Hi
What are comic boards and what is the "ruler method" ?
Comic boards are acid free "cardboard" pieces that some people use to fold their fabric around. I don't use them myself. Check the tutorial section of QB -- that will show you how to ruler fold. I don't stack my fabric when it is folded. Mine is in drawers and easy to find.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

With me, it's a bit of both. There are many that I put in boxes by color, but I keep my batiks separate, and I have a special box for just Christmas fabrics, and one for things that I cannot put in any other catagory but misc. I also have a box for fabrics that will end up as the backing.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 PM

I tend to group first by type of fabric - batik, flannel, home decor, regular cotton (Christmas, Asian, kids, and extra brights get their own stacks)

Then within each grouping I sort by color. Within the various color stacks I at least start out with them going from light to dark within the stack. 😉 Or I may have a dark stack and a light stack for that particular color.

My folding method is selvedge to selvedge then fold again the same way. Then fold that crossways however many times to fit shelf. By looking at how fat the folded piece is I have a general idea how much of each is there. If I have two identical FQ for instance, I will fold one inside the other. Also any sizable scraps are folded in with the main fabric.

Works in progress are put in small basket/crates with all the relevant folded fabrics plus a zip bag with any pieces that have been precut but not yet stitched.

I also have a couple groupings of fabrics set aside but not yet cut that are destined for specific future projects in baskets like the WIPs.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:50 AM

Thanks for all these ideas. I was able to organize mostly by color, and then christmas and halloween seperate. I dont think I have a lot of fabric, it all fits in a smallish 3 chest drawer,but to me, it seems like too much if I dont know what to do with it. I havent bought any fabric for ages due to loss of job, and am trying to work with what I have. Funny how perspective changes. I had certain halloween fabric that I couldnt possibly cut, it was way too amazing and hard to find, now I want to use it all up but dont have a project for it. What was I thinking is whats been going through my head while organizing. Its like having a great outfit and no where to go! so now I have to put a project behind it and not feel so bad for it sitting around
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 AM

beautiful place, I want to shop
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM

I group by color, except for holiday fabrics, which get their own section.