Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing patterns from magazines >

Organizing patterns from magazines

Organizing patterns from magazines

Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

And what is he going to get rid of? ;-) We use cardboard magazine holders, you can get them at Staples, Office depot etc. Then they can go on a regular bookshelf. I actually don't have many, however, my husband has 'super stock and drag illustrated' going back to the 50's!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.
I do this as well for ones I am going to make shortly. But, i also scan any pics, patterns, directions, etc. and keep them on a flash drive for future use. Instead of tearing the magazines apart you can scan and keep and sell the magazines. Just a thought!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM

I too have tons of magazines. On the older ones, I rip out the advertisements and articles I'm not interested in and that leaves a very skinny magazine. And/or, I simply tear out the patterns and staple the magazine cover to them and put them in a magazine holder. A couple of times now I've recycled magazine holders because of the space I've saved.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
Originally Posted by raedar63
Hmmmm, husband demanding, no flippin way! ........
It's not so much that he is demanding that I get rid of them. He suggested I sell them, in bundles to make room for our home based tshirt printing business, which needs all the space we can get. I don't mind getting rid of them as long as I can keep the patterns I might want a later time. I think I will scan the patterns, but I don't think I can sell the magazines without the templates pull-out included....not sure if scanning the templates would do much good??
Okay, but you've got to chuckle at blzzrdqueen's reply. I did, and when I told my husband, he did too!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 AM

I don't take out the patterns I like and discard the magazine because I have learned over time that patterns I don't like today will be just what I want one day down the road. But I have found a space saving solution to store the largest # of magazines in the smallest amount of space that works better than any I have tried. I file the magazines alphabetically by title in hanging file folders (several mags to one folder) or cardboard magazine holders in a tall 4 drawer filing cabinet. On top of the cabinet I have a long file box for 3x5" cards in which I have set up a card catalog system. I have the name of a quilt pattern on the top line of the card, then below a listing of each magazine and page # that pattern can be found in. This took a while to set up a few years ago (going through all of the mags and filling in the cards), but it was fun and well worth it. Now I can find anything, and friends ask me for a pattern they need quickly instead of hunting through their magazines to find it. If I just want to browse mags for fun, I can take out a box or folder at a time and swap out for another one when I'm finished.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM

I have a ginormous binder that I've filled with protector sleeves. Every now & then I sit at the television and cut and stuff. The sleeves hold the pattern & templates. Also remove the patterns in which I'm no longer interested.

p.s. there are many magazines that I want to keep (like a good book). Those I place in stand-up, open-ended magazine boxes.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
Originally Posted by raedar63
Hmmmm, husband demanding, no flippin way! ........
It's not so much that he is demanding that I get rid of them. He suggested I sell them, in bundles to make room for our home based tshirt printing business, which needs all the space we can get. I don't mind getting rid of them as long as I can keep the patterns I might want a later time. I think I will scan the patterns, but I don't think I can sell the magazines without the templates pull-out included....not sure if scanning the templates would do much good??
You could photocopy the templates.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
And what is he going to get rid of? ;-) We use cardboard magazine holders, you can get them at Staples, Office depot etc. Then they can go on a regular bookshelf. I actually don't have many, however, my husband has 'super stock and drag illustrated' going back to the 50's!
Funny you should ask what he would get rid of...he has NOTHING to get rid of, the whole house if full of MY stuff, lol!!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM

I Put my favorite patterns in those clear plastic notebook sleeves and arranged them according to type ie,.traditional, Christmas, etc. I put labeled note book dividers between the types and set them all in a wooden crate I have. So far so good :wink:
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM

i used to keep all my mags. found the same problem as others that over time my wants, needs, likes changed. also, many of the "new" patterns are just different fabrics. then i realized that with rare exceptions i find something i like in almost every mag. this led me to decide to let go of the mags and just enjoy the new ones. i keep about one year worth, go thru them periodically and remove the patterns that still appeal, put them in binder.

the other thing that helps is the digital subscription. really like that. i can go back ten years online and i don't have to make storage space.

hadn't thought about scanning the pages i save. i may have to hook up the scanner and get to saving.