Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing >

Organizing

Organizing

Old 09-01-2014, 12:21 AM

I from time to time have tried different ways..My DH builds shelves where and how I want them.. I have large clear totes(find I forget where or what I have) so ...I folded fabric on boards (mat board cut to fit my shelves) looks great and I can see what I have..by color..I find that my fabric gets a bit wrinkled when it is folded.. so I like hanging on hangers the best...scraps or small pieces in clear shoe boxes.. I hate to spend so much time organizing but I find things get so bad I have to stop and get things so I can find them..I tried to stop buying more than I need but have failed at that..Really am frustrated if I have to make a trip to the store because I don't have the right color or enough to finish my project..I keep trimmings in clear bags..egg cartons ..and produce boxs..My littlest grandson 4years old found it was such fun to dump all grammas scraps out and make a mess:0) this week..and find hiding places under shelves behind totes..I am so grateful that he could come and see us I didn't even scold him much ..we are cleaning it up together...
Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I organize by color. I put less then a yard in one area and the larger ones in another area..Works for me..
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM

I organize by color. Yardage is ruler folded and stacked in cabinets. Scraps are sorted by color and stored in drawers, 1 color per drawer. Fat quarters are clipped on rods (originally intended for storing scrapbooking supplies) hanging on the wall, sorted by color groups.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM

I organize by project in an enclosed cabinet on comic boards. Each piece is then labeled with the pertinent information including manufacturer, line, and amount on the board. If I impulse buy, (and the fabric is for no particular project), it is organized by color. All fat quarters are in flat boxes so I can see them and they stay clean that way.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Ruler folded, sorted by color mostly.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:40 PM

I keep my project fabrics together w/ the patterns. The fat qtrs & fat halves are together fold side up in a dresser. My yardage; I have ruler folded & separated by batiks, orientals, novelty fabrics & background fabrics. If they don't fit these categories I then sort & shelve them by color. Still trying to decide on what I want to do w/ the jelly rolls. Almost forgot my flannels!! They're folded & separate from the rest.