Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing your stash >

Organizing your stash

Organizing your stash

Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM

I loved the question about how much material in your stash and the answers were varied, but I have been quilting for less than a year and am building my stash, Now what I am wondering is what it the best way to organize your stash. I seem sort of scattered. Should it be by color only, size of remnant, what are the best storage containers? I will be interested to see how others do it.Thanks for your help, I am getting lots of help and ideas from this board. Rita
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Mine is sorted by the length of the cut and then by color. All the fat quarters are in a dresser. The half yards and yards are in another dresser that's my cutting table. All the two yard cuts are in stacks in a bookcase. Anything longer than that is wound on coroplast boards and on the bookcase and on some open shelves.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:47 PM

Mine is sorted by color mostly. I do have some by category such as florals, animal fabrics, Christmas, Halloween, other holidays, baby, etc. I have my stash in covered opaque totes with labels on the ends even tho I can tell the colors thru the sides. They are stacked in my spare bedroom closet. Sometimes it's a pain to be unstacking and then restacking the totes (I always want the fabric in the bottom tote!), but I figure that's part of my "keep limber so I can continue quilting" exercise program!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 PM

I will upload a picture of my storange containers in a little bit for you to see :)

I have my fabric all folded neatly and just organized via color. My sizes of the fabrics all vary so the colors are easier for me to organize.

It basically comes down to what makes you feel the best :)
Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 PM

mine is sorted by length and color
Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 PM

I sort by general size and then by color. I find the hanging shoe bag closet organizers are great for FQ's and I use the hanging sweater organizers for larger pieces of, say, 1-3 yards. If they are larger, I like to keep them on bolts and just stack them on a shelf. I generally buy muslin for background and backing by the bolt when on sale and just cut what I need each time. I also keep all scraps for applique by color in stacking clear plastic boxes. Having said that, I also keep my Xmas fabs together, child prints together (someday hoping to have a grandchild!) and felts together. I also have a section with plastic zip-lock bags of trims-laces etc. I do like my fabric organized so it makes it much easier to see what I have when "shopping" in my stash for a project. I also love looking at it and feeling it each time I dig in!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm a scrap quilter with literally thousands of remnants. They're sorted by color (and sub-color) and are "displayed" in hanging baskets from the closet rod. I took the bi-fold doors off the closet. Solids are in a separate open tote on the floor of the closet. Squares from swaps (OMG how many!) are filed by color in two filing cabinets with hanging files. Jelly rolls and strips are stored in plastic shoe-box size totes in a bookcase that also serves as a side table for my cutting area. Yardage (very little) is in a separate tote in the other closet in the room.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 PM

I sort by color and have them in a tall bookshelf. I have a separate shelf for holiday, Americana, flannel, and juvenile. I keep the fat quarters and scraps separate, but everything else is in the bookshelf.

For a uniform fold, I fold the selvage to the fold and then in however many folds I need to fit the shelf. Does that make sense? Fabric is usually 44", and is 22" as it comes off the bolt. By folding it this way, I end up with all pieces 11" wide and can make the length whatever I need to fit the shelf.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Mine is sorted by length only. I don't do color sorting not yet anyway. I've only been quilting for about a year also :)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

I sort differently, what ever works for you :wink:
I have batiks, seasonal, tonal/blenders, prints, juvenile, etc... this system works better for me than just by color :D:D:D