Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ott Lamp - question >

Ott Lamp - question

Ott Lamp - question

Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM

I have 2 desk top models with flexible necks. I've had them for 2 1/2 years with no trouble at all. One is by my sewing machine and the other is by my stove to supplement my kitchen lighting. Still using the original bulbs. I bought both at Big Lots for $19.99 each.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 PM

I have the table 12" hinged lamp and loved it until the small plastic gear that holds the hinged light in place broke. Perfect on the sewing cabinet next to the machine. Hubby repaired it and it's holding together for now. For what it cost the plastic piece that broke should have been replaced.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM

I have two. One is a floor standing with an adjustable goose neck. I love this, and won't sew much without it.
I have a table top sized one that have on a shelf over my sewing table, and it really helps when auditioning fabrics. I usually like my choices when I have used the ott light than when I have depended on the regular light (ceiling light).
I am glad I have them. I bought the floor one at JoAnn's when it was on sale, and the other was from a LQS. But a joyce888 said there are other places that sell them. My local Michael's sells them, but in limited sizes. It may not be Ott brand, but there are "daylight" lamps at most stores.
Some hardware stores sell the "daylight" bulbs that you could put into any lamp.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM

I have been contemplating purchasing an Ott Lamp. My work space is light deficient. Will be watching the replies for information to help me make a decision.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I have an Ott lamp, but prefer to use a halogen light. It is much brighter. It does get hotter, so you can't touch it.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I have one over my cutting table, and one over my sewing machine. I bought the folding Ott lamps for my late mother, who used them for reading and had one on her kitchen table for reading the newspaper. My sister inherited them, she loves them too!!

Originally Posted by ErinMarie View Post
Can anyone provide feed back on the Ott Lamps I've seen at Jo-Ann's? Which one do you have, is there one you wish you did have (for example - going to guild meetings/retreats, or having one that clamps down,etc)?

I've seen them in the past, but have never bothered to buy one, mainly due to the price. With Black Friday coming up, I'm considering these as an option provided the price is right.

Or is there another lighting solution out there that you like?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 PM

I have both the floor model (which I use all the time in my sewing room) and a small foldable one that I take to retreats. I love both. Got each with coupons from JoAnn's...makes the price more acceptable.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM

I have 2 floor lamps, one over my cutting table and the other by my sewing machine. Love them!!! I'm waiting for a good sale to get one with the magnifier on it to put by my chair for cross stitching or embroidery while watching tv.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 PM

I have one that hooks on to my sewing table. I can bend it in different directions depending
on which end of the table I,m working. They are wonderful.
Like others have said,wait till JoAnns has a sale or use the coupons.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:01 PM

My only complaint is that I had bought a lamp and then about 6 months later I had problems getting a replacement bulb for it. In the end, I believe I called the company and asked them to ship one to me. If I remember right, I couldn't find the replacement because they stopped making that model. (After spending quite a bit of money on the light, I wasn't happy that I ran into this problem.) I have a problem with my eyesight and I definitely like to use the Ott lamps when I'm sewing. Even though I had this problem with getting a replacement bulb, I went ahead and bought a couple of other Ott lamps for the different areas in my house where I sew.