Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing >

Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing

Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing

Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Hmmm I don't know that the right word for how I felt is "embarrassed", I guess I don't embarrass easily... but I did quilt a scrap onto the back of a small quilt I was quilting on my DSM. I laughed and showed everybody so they could chuckle, too.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM

I sewed garments for years before starting to quilt. Last year I decided to make my husband a Christmas shirt. You see so many holiday shirts for women & my husband has more Christmas spirit than most 10 people put together. I was making him a black camp style shirt with a row of Christmas prints down the front. It was coming together nicely- kind of elegant, but fun & I was quite pleased with myself. I am pretty sure I even said" Wow, you still got it! " out loud! After I had trimmed the sleeve I held it up to look at & I had cut a HUGE gash through the sleeve! Brought me back down to earth pretty fast! I had to go out & buy more fabric for the sleeve.....It did come out nice & he does like it, but I still laugh at myself & my cockiness!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Forgot about this one until DD reminded me. I made my one and only tote bag and sewed the handles across the opening instead of up each side. Can you blame me for trying to forget about this? In my defemse. the directions for the whole bag were confusing, but this was the only part I messed up on.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
Sewing blocks together one was wrong way.Did this ALMOST 3 times Same Block for goodness sake
I have totally done that.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 AM

It certainly wasn't funny at the time, but I once cut a sleeve out of my mother's tablecloth that I had failed to completely remove from the kitchen table before I started cutting. After she stopped fussing, we cut TWO blouses out, one from the fabric, and one from the kitchen tablecloth. It really was a pretty tablecloth. I smile every time I see my high school senior picture. I was wearing my mother's tablecloth. I should hunt it up and post a photo...
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Years ago I made a rather fancy dress for myself. There was a slit up the front and when I walked the sides kept flopping back. So, in all of my wisdom I decided to put weights in the bottom corners of the dress. When we went to the buffet table (after my dress attached itself to the table) I realized that not only were they weights, they were also magnets. I kept pulling my dress away from anything metal all night. I still laugh at myself for that one. You can dress me up but can't take me anywhere.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:36 PM

My "duh" moment was when I had completed a handbag for myself and gave myself a big pat on the back for a job well done. I grabbed my old handbag and started putting my things into my new bag which kept making a crinkling sound every time I put my hand in it. I finally figured it out......I was out of stiff interfacing to use in the pockets so used Steam A Seam which worked well, but I forgot to take the paper backing off!! That took the wind out of my sails real quick!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM

I love your magnets story. Laughed out loud at that!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
Forgot about this one until DD reminded me. I made my one and only tote bag and sewed the handles across the opening instead of up each side. Can you blame me for trying to forget about this? In my defemse. the directions for the whole bag were confusing, but this was the only part I messed up on.
I did the same thing. The directions said to stitch handles across from each other ---so that is what I did! LOL!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM

Many, many years ago, long before spray basting, I had a king size quilt on a plush carpeted floor all laid out to baste it. When I got done I went to lift it up & had managed to baste to to the carpet as well. I thought I was being so careful. My mom nearly wet herself laughing at my opps moment. I went out & bought a huge cardboard cutting board after that one.