Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overcoming Fear >

Overcoming Fear

Overcoming Fear

Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Janet, I really can't help you much 'cause I always jump in with both feet! My hold up "would" be the opposite of yours. I'm wanting to make things to sell at craft fairs. My husband tell me, "I hope it sells", or "Do you really think that will sell!?". And these are things like the Tater Baker, Can Cozies, Go Green Shopping Bags, and Go Green Snack Bags. I HOPE they'll sell. Good luck, Girl! Just go for it.!!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by janet bales
Thanks for all that all of you have taught me as a quilt newcomer. One thing I guess I am ashamed to admit but I need help with is overcoming fear. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous but my husband offers to hold my hand as I start quilting. I do not know if I am afraid of failing, but I have difficultly getting in my room to start really quilting process. I have read books, have great stuff to quilt with, and read your helping topics but overcoming getting started is huge. HELP!
Emiko Toda Loeb, a very talented Japanese professional quilter - told me years ago, ignore the mistakes and just keep going - most will never be noticed.
It took me a few years before I can over come my urge to confess my mistakes in the quilts when I give them away. It makes me worried when they say how perfect my quilts are and I don't want them to think that because it was a lie. It bothered me. The receivers never cared about the boo-boos when I pointed them out. They just continue to gush over how perfect the quilt was for them.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:31 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

I know how you feel, but I am not that way now. Quilting has taught me a lot and given me a lot of self-confidence. My dear sister taught me to sew and to quilt and when I was making my first quilt I was getting frustrated with something (I can't even remember what it was now) and she said, "Stop stressing it is the little mistakes that make it hand made and special." She was right. I quilt now for my own satisfaction. I do give most of my things away to friends and family but I do this for me.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Everyone has made some great suggestions here. I grumbled my way through my first quilt with a friends help so connecting with others certainly helped me. I was frozen with fear also until she gave me a pack of I Spy 6" blocks and said just sew one to another in a row and then do another row etc. Of course I asked more questions along the way and stated that would be it for me at the end. Then I looked at it on my 8 year olds bed and his love for it and thought hmmmm I wonder if my girl would like one and that was me. A confirmed quilter. I get nervous so I sew some squares together again and get myself back into the flow.Be kind to yourself and know that every quilt will be a learning piece and use what you learn on the next one. But - begin!!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Take a deep breath, put a smile on your face, and go have fun. just go play with a mime quilt and make it fun. God bless. Penny
Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Power Poster

All fantastic advice...one of my favourite sayings is "Procrastination is the thief of time" and it truly is. So step boldly to your work table and just do it.

There are so many stunning quilts made and displayed by members here and in the various books and magazines. It is easy to be discouraged and try and strive for some kind of imagined perfection. But go back to the beginning, look at antique quilts, take a look at the Gees Bend collection and the work of the Tutwiler Quilters, such quilts serve as a reminder of what the art of quilting is. There is true beauty in their honesty.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 AM

You can do it! No better way to overcome your fear than just getting in there and doing it... as everyone says, each piece is a learning piece.... even the great quilters make mistakes. I for one, have ripped a resewn a number of times... the finished product will give your happiness.... just do it!!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Don't be afraid to cut the fabric. Also, use that fabric! Why bother to shop (and pay for it!!) only to let it sit on the shelf because it is "too good" to use? Use it up (what if the kids put it in the dumpster when you are gone because they don't sew) and then you have an excuse to buy more. Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 AM

start with a small, easy project that you can finish in a short time. work up to bigger ones-you'll be addicted so fast!