Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overwelmed...looking at new machines...help from Bernina owners, please! >

Overwelmed...looking at new machines...help from Bernina owners, please!

Overwelmed...looking at new machines...help from Bernina owners, please!

Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 AM

Keep the 910! You will cry if you don't.

I have one machine for sewing (a viking with fancy stitches) and one for FMQ (a straight stitch only Voyager on order)I am not sure about the pricing on these, but keep in mind a 17" throat machine is "only" $3000, or a 9" Juki is "only" about $600. I have one machine for each job, rather than one machine to do ALL the jobs.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 1000projects
I have one machine for each job, rather than one machine to do ALL the jobs.
me too...
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I bought the 440QE soon after I started quilting, and I love it. The BSR really helped me get started with FMQ. I bought the embroidery module - but I never use it!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 AM

I have the new 830 and my recommendation to you is to see if your dealer has some kind of classes or "make it and take it" seminars. My dealer has classes offered on different machine or to make projects(you pay for class and or supplies) but get to work on one of the models you're interested in buying. You can test drive the machine in a class setting and I would think your dealer has a similar program. You can't go wrong with a Bernina.

Oh...and my 830 must weigh 40 lbs...so not "plastic" as someone above stated, LOL!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 AM

I have had a 150QE for years and still take it to sewing bee and short retreats. I also had a 200/730 which I just sold as I now have the new 830. I agree with Candace the 830 is heavy and not just plastic. Have a friend who has the 440 with embroidery and she really likes it. As others have said, a trip to the Bernina dealer is definitely in order with time to spend checking out each machine. You can compare features on some of the machines at berninausa.com.

Good luck with your research and purchase.

mltquilt
Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl
440 here and I'm in love. I also have the embroidery unit but haven't used it other than classes. I love the BSR and the walking foot that comes with this machine. I think this model is fast becoming sold out due to the newer 5 series. I was not aware that you can't embroider with the 5's. I would not trade my 440 for any machine! I have quilted baby quilts with the 440 and the smaller bed. Just recently ordered the larger bed. Anxious to get that. Enjoy the process-I call my Bernina the Harley of machines. Cause DH has his Harley and now I have mine! ha
I have this machine, and I love it. Found the embroidery module on eBay, but had to update the software. I've used it to make a few items, and i used it to quilt a baby quilt once. Also use it for quilt labels and made my husband a few t-shirts. It's a very versatile machine for the money. I've quilted a 60 x 60 quilt with no problems, but I highly recommend the large extension table.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have a kenmore/janome machine and a mega quilter; one has the cut thread option the other has the needle up/down and each has other features that I love so I knew when I got a new machine I wanted one machine that had all of the features that I wanted. I got the Ruby w/embroidery and love it. It has the needle up/down, the auto cut thread/the push button start where I don't have to use peddle (great for long seams) it automatically cuts the jump threads on the embroidery machine. Check out the new machine features and write down the ones you want and go from there. Good luck on your adventure.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM

Because the boards can't tolerate too much heat, modern, computerized machines CANNOT be all metal like the glorious oldies (have 'em, love 'em, use 'em!). But Berninas have a LOT of metal, a very rigid frame. The lighest-the Activas and 3 series-are still about 18 lbs each. Janome uses a metal skeleton to achieve rigidity with less weight. The plastics are not the same as the cheaper machines.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM

The embroidery units and BSRs are often available used or even second-hand but new and unused, at a substantial discount, from SewItsForSale, PatternReview.com classifieds, or eBay. So if you aren't sure if you want those things, keep in mind that you can add them later, from the dealer or another source.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Kas

I have the 640 and love it!I use it for piecing and quilting. The stitches are beautiful. Do keep your old one, though.