Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overwhelmed with it all >

Overwhelmed with it all

Overwhelmed with it all

Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Dedicate one or two hours on days off and set an easy goal to reach - like organize reds in stash - or get quilt kits organized. We made up a card file of projects to do and when we have time and energy draw one out to complete.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Just 15 min a day does wonders! I set a timer for 15 min start in one corner of the room, only big enough that you can reach without taking a step, if something doesn't belong there put it in the general area it does belong in. Yes at some point you will look at an area and say that's worse than I started! LOL but you only worry about the 1-2 foot section you are working on. At the end of the 15 min. you stop. The first few times you do this you may have to stay in the same place until you get to the bottom of your mess, It took me almost 30 min, to finish my first 2 foot section. LOL I usually tackle my 15 min just before bed. Oh ya if you find things that belong where you have already picked up, put them away where they belong. Before you know it you will be squeezing in another 15 min, hear and there, waiting for water to boil, in between loads of laundry, just remember you can do anything for 15 min. than walk away.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Wow sorry ladies I don't feel this way. All my fabric will fit in a tub. I am on such a tight budget I usually buy just for the project I'm working on. I am lucky if I have a grocery bag of scraps. Then I do,have some people who give for charity's that I am working on. But they get finished and out the door they go. I'll give you all my address and you can send me your scraps or fabric you dont want. And just maybe one day I would have the same problem. I think it would be a blessing if I did. LOL let me know if you want my address.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Everyone thank you for your wonderful words of advice. I am prioritizing just as recommended and saying NO to a few requests by others. I did say yes to a cry for help and helped my secretaries daughter today with her home ec quilting project. Poor kid is a perfectionist and their teacher gave them NO direction with their projects. All her squares were different sizes and they were told to just sew the squares together. No direction about seam allowances, pressing, etc. What a mess. We worked all afternoon and have a wonderful project almost done. She is thrilled and I was so happy I had the knowledge to help her.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 AM

Close the door until you are adapted to your new job and to working full time. None of the stuff in your sewing room is eating anything so it isn't like it will cost you money to close the door.
It was very nice of you to help the girl with her project.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 AM
QM
Power Poster

I am in agreement with Jan. Quilting is for pleasure and relaxation. Give yourself a break. Starting a new job is quite enough stress. Don't stress over quilting.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

When I worked full time I claimed Sunday afternoon as all mine. I stayed in my sewing room all afternoon. When you work full time you have to have a some hours as your own not doing what DH and the kids (if older) thinks you should be doing for them.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 AM

Aww you sound stressed. I know when things get really busy and really cluttered I feel overwhelmed and sort of like things will just never get better. I can relate to your situation, I don't work but I have three children and I just recently decided to launch a small long arm quilting business. The most important thing for me, is make sure you get sleep. It's not the end of the world if your clutter sits until a time when you feel like you can tackle it. You will get there. I like what the other ladies have said in, do a little at a time if it helps. Then at least you feel like you're doing something about it, but it's not all at once.

Life is fluid and we won't always have time for our hobby. But just keep that in mind, right now is not forever. Soon you will adjust and find time to do fit in the things that you love to do.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 AM

I've seen that quilt room...upstairs. About 6 years ago and the 15 years prior to that.
The 15 minute timer was the method I chose. If I cared enough to buy it, then I cared enough to be a good steward of it. and being on the timer makes you work fast, no getting side tracked by catalogs, new ideas for wannamakeit...

I've maintained a lovely room since then by putting things away after I was finished with them.
If something comes in something has to go out (flylady rule)
Went on the fabric wagon (that was back in 2001)
Leave my project when finished for the day in a way that I can come in, sit down, and go to work on it.
teach myself a finished top is ok, people won't send finished tops to the dump, but they will send UFO's by the dozens.

I love my quilt room, I wish the same for you.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM

hey, owl vamp. I can send you some scrap fabric. I have some I don't need or probably won't be using anytime soon. My sis and I bought out a lady who closed her quilting store and we split the works. A lot of it is baby fabric for quilt kits etc but we did receive other things as well like ribbons, embroidery threads on large cones, loads of lace, solids for backings, some thin, some thicker etc. I have some boxes of squares already cut out. She sewed while she was in the shop and made quilt kits etc. If you are serious all you have to pay is postage.