Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pain in the neck >

Pain in the neck

Pain in the neck

Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by magpie
Debbie Umphress sells a machine lifter, (if your machine is not fitted into a table) it tilts the machine so that your neck and head stays at a natural angle. Try door stops or something that can tilt the machine. Here's the link for Debbie. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-69533-1.htm

Thank you so much for that website that looks like the perfect solution to those of us with arthritis in our necks and spine. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-09-2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maiziedo
Originally Posted by ChrisB
I used to have neck pain all the time from sewing and other things. I started wearing a magnetic necklace about eight years ago and it really works for me. I got mine at a craft show by a friend who makes them. There are cheap ones but are not as strong or helpful. My hubby starting wearing one after seeing how much it helped me and he also swears by them now. At times I will start to get a neck ache but it quickly goes away. We wear them all the time, only taking them off to shower. Wear next to the skin.
Where do you get these? Would love to try

Maiziedo
We bought ours at a craft show. We have a friend who used to make them but I have not been able to contact her to see if she still does. Will post again if I hear from her. Check out the craft shows this time of year for magnetic jewelry.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 AM

I do all of the above. According to a former coworker, a sewing factory supervisor, your chair should sit high enough so that you can work at your machine without the shoulders raising. My chair doesn't go high enough for that so I have a cheap bed pillow on the "secretary" chair.
It is hard to take a break when on a fun roll quilting with specialty threads. Keep a big mug of ice water handy and a hubby/friend with magic hands close.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by SherrieDLux
I worked for 5 straight hours 2 days ago on a quilt for my D/D for Christmas, yesterday I couldn't even move I hurt so much in the neck and left shoulder, nothing seemed to help. You guys are so wonderful on here, I was wondering if anyone else did this, and if so, can you tell me why or how to avoid it. Thanks for listening..
I have that problem too. My office chair is too low and it gives me sore neck and shoulders. Is there some way you can raise the chair as I have a machine cabinet and the machine sits 2inches above the table. I do know how you feel. My fingers are my problem at the moment,I am trying to make a bag for my sister and they are splitting with the pressure of the needle.