Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painting my sewing room >

Painting my sewing room

Painting my sewing room

Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Default Painting my sewing room

Planning on taking everything out and painting. But I have no dreams or ideas on the color. We have maple floors and oak trim, so mostly a honey oak color on the wood. Trouble is I would love to go bold, which I am thinking I will. It is eggshell right now, so this is boring.
My DS is giving me a china cabinet so I can put all my thread in. Hoping just to down size somehow.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...om-t97886.html

I'm really going to clean up the room, I have so much fabric. I sent off around 8 plus quilts to be laser cut, so I'm going to package more up soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Definitely go with a color that makes you happy to live in. My sewing room is yellow but it's not a pale, wimpy yellow. It's a fairly bright, happy yellow.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM

My sewing room is a bold medium toned purple with pale blue curtains. I have several windows so it's bright and cheery. The main thought is to use what you like, it is the only room in the house that you don't have to take other people's tastes into account. Might help to go look in your clothes closet and see what colors you gravitate towards.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

Go with a color you'd love to try and remember it's only paint!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM

Mine is a minty green on the bottom and a brighter cheery yellow on top. I think it helps with the limited sun the room gets. Only one window and the room sits below grade so the window is pretty close to the ground.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Go with whatever colour makes you happy. With the warm wood colour, I think I'd stay with a warm colour myself. I'm thinking Butterscotch....because it sounds warm, toasty and delicious. I don't know if they even have a shade of paint that colour but if they don't, they should!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM

I agree with Emma S., check out your closet and use colors you wear - they obviously make you happy, so why shouldn't you use them in your sewing room? My room is a medium purple with a few water colors (blue, green, etc.) thrown in for interest) - every time I go in there I am instantly cheered up. And if you can't find the exact shade you want in the paint store, take in some fabric or a piece of clothing in that color, they should be able to match it. Enjoy the process, and let your inner crayon-toting child have free rein!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:31 AM

When I was trying to decide on paint colors I painted about a 1' x 3' section of four different colors. I looked at them during different times of the day and finally picked the one I kept going back to. I was shocked at how different they could look actually on the walls at different times of the day.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:42 AM

My sewing room is a bright turquoise blue. It makes me happy every time I walk into it!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Why not paint one wall the most exciting color you like and the others more subdued. That way you can always get inspiration from one wall ....
and if it happens that you want to change, you have only one wall to repaint.
I've done that in my kitchen. It has been absolutely fun, surprises visitors even though I've changed it several times.