Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panel quilt..how to qyilt? >

Panel quilt..how to qyilt?

Panel quilt..how to qyilt?

Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 AM

Default Panel quilt..how to qyilt?

I am mainly a piecer and have not done much quilting. The little quilting I have done is SITD. I've never done FMQ. I would like suggestions on how to quilt this panel. I at first thought I would try to outline the eagles and the tree but then didn't think I could maneuver through all the details due to my lack of experience. Also don't think it would be enough quilting especially in the sky areas and interior of the tree. I'm thinking now of STID on the border seams and doing crosshatch through the center using painters tape to mark the stitching lines (using invisible thread for the quilting). However I am open to suggestions and instructions. Thanks so much for your help!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574910[/ATTACH].
Attached Thumbnails img_1466.jpg  

Last edited by janjanq; 06-19-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 AM

If you don't want to fmq, I think what you have planned is perfect. It's exactly what I'd do. I'd make the crosshatching on the diagonal so it would look like diamonds, if possible. If not, then horizontal and vertical lines work, too.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

i agree with JustAbitCrazy... however, a light gray or light beige thread would do as well as the invisible
Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM

When I do a panel quilt, I make templates of anything I want to stand out. In your case, the two eagles and the big tree. Then I detail the picture and the extra puffiness makes it look almost 3-D. I would find some pictures of clouds and make their outlines (not complete outlines), but part ones to look like billowing clouds across the sky. A couple of those should be enough to hold it all together there. If you're unsure, pin a copy of what you're planning to do where you want it on the panel and stitch over it, then peel off the paper carefully.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 AM

I like Becky's idea of making clouds in the sky!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 AM

This panel just cries out for some thread painting in the evergreen tree and on the eagles. You will have to stabilize the major pieces then just have fun. Match the thread to the item. Clouds in the sky or cross-hatch. There are lots of videos to learn how to do thread painting. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...uilt&FORM=VDRE
Old 06-21-2017, 03:15 AM

I did a quilt just like this one for my grandson...quilted it in a cross hatch and it turned out great..
Old 06-21-2017, 03:28 AM

The panel is beautiful and the wallhanging you made from it is nicely done. I think some of the ideas above are great. I would encourage you to be a bit adventuresome in quilting it. Practice some FMQ on scraps and then try it on your quilt. If you use thread that matches the elements of the design it will be lovely. I think you will be impressed with how well you could do with a bit of practice on scraps.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM

I didn't know how, but I will be soon practicing.
Thank you