Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top? >

panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

Old 06-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Try Dawn dish liquid. It's always worked on grease and oil stains for me. They use it to clean up wildlife after an oil spill. Good luck!
add some baking soda to the dawn and make a paste and scrub with an old toothbrush.
You will get results. If it doesn't do the whole trick add some peroxide after testing
a scrap. You will be amazed.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:12 AM

Now that you've landed on your feet with the stains, you might want to ask why there was black grease in there in the first place. DS and I took my Viking apart recently because the shop where I bought it wouldn't let me watch while it was being cleaned. It was full of thick, black grease. "Where is all the lint," I asked naively, and there it was, embedded in the grease, making it like putty. DS removed every bit and substituted a clear lubricant that he felt was more appropriate to the plastic gears. Can't remember the name but could find out.

Now, I suppose that catching lint might have been part of its purpose, but I was glad to get it out of there.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 06-08-2015, 12:13 PM

I had a white jumpsuit that had gotten grease from my hubby's motorcycle on it and had tried several things. It had been washed and dried several times but still the spot remained. My mother told me what to do and every bit came out.
Take a bit of lard (NOT shortening...LARD) and rub into the spot thoroughly. Then fold the spot on the fabric over and rub together until it gets hot (you can feel the heat). Put a little dishwashing soap on the spot, rub it in and launder normally. voila! it should be gone.